Why do people stay in a relationship if they aren't happy?

I recently hung out with some friends and my one buddy Bobby invited his guy friend Nick. As soon as I saw Nick my eyes started to light up. He was very handsome and nice. We were talking and stuff and he was very flirtatious the whole night. We even exchanged numbers. He told my friend that he thought I was so sexy. He was such a nice guy and I liked his personality. I thought I hit the jackpot. But later that night when everyone went home my friend Bobby told me that Nick has a girlfriend. I told him that he didn't look happily taken by the way he was acting that night. Bobby replied and said "lol he's not" If people are unhappy in a relationship why do they stay in the relationship?

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes people stay for the kids.

Sometimes people stay, because they're afraid to be alone.

Sometimes people stay, because they are forced to.

And sometimes people stay, because they feel committed to the relationship and don't leave the moment it's not fun anymore. They treat a relationship like a rollercoaster and wait for the up that comes after a down.

Actually, Nick sounds exactly like my bf's friend. What I noticed after knowing him for a while is being a big flirt, smooth at small talking and giving good compliments means nothing. He constantly gives compliments to almost every guy and girl he meets. It's almost like a sickness, because he says someone looks good even though they look like shit. He means well, but I think I'd feel worse if I know I had a bad hair day and wore the only things left that are not in the laundry yet. And he listens to/reads books about 'the art of small talk' or 'how to make people like you'. I'm not kidding. And he continued to do all this WHILE he was in a HAPPY relationship, I don't want to know what he did when it went south.

• Nick was giving more than compliments and he wanted to see me later that night lol. I don't think a person would be acting like that If they were truly happy in their relationship. I just think if a person wants to talk to other people and more then they shouldn't be in a relationship. Just be single until you find someone you're truly happier with. It's not right to do all that then stay in a relationship. =/

• Yes this is how cheaters and home wreckers tell themselves to feel better with their own actions.

• Idk, I guess so. Never been either one of those. But hopefully they find happiness and what they truly want in life.

What Guys Said 5

• Sometimes it's scarier to leave.

• Yeah that's understandable but if you're unhappy I think that's like torture.

• Who knows, maybe they're on the verge of a breakup anyways.

• I don't know. I would want to have him lol. But I don't wish a break up on anyone. I just hope he finds happiness.

• Frightened of being alone.

• marriage maybe, when you love someone is like having a kids, sometimes is happyness sometimes is sadness. but you allways gonna be their dad/mom and they allways gonna be your kids.

• How old is this guy? And do you know the details of his relationship?

• He's 26. And no I don't know the details of his relationship. His friend just told me that he's not happily taken.

• Oh no, I don't believe in that. And I would never be a home wrecker. I don't think that's good. I wouldn't pursue anything unless he's single. I just want to be a friend for now.

• Well, I would suggest not talking to him at all while in a relationship. Since you already like him, I think it would be best and the most respectable thing to do.

• I know people who stay together for their kids. Sometimes it just makes more sense to

What Girls Said 3

• People become in love with the idea of love. They feel that just saying they are in a relationship makes them happy even though they are unhappy with the relationship itself.

• I agree with that. But it's sad though because at the end you're only hurting yourself.

• They don't want to be on the hunt for somebody else. Its that simple. Too much work, too much time and above all,

they don't want to fall out of love.

• I don't think they're in love if they're acting like that.

• They could be

• I doubt it. If love and happiness was there they wouldn't be looking for other things and he would respect his girlfriend.

• rather be miserable than be alone

-recently single and resisted it for a LONG time

• =( I'm sorry to hear that. It would actually be better alone than to be miserable in a relationship. I guess it's hard to leave sometimes.

• i suppose... i HATE being alone tho. I much rather be miserable.. sad i know,, but.. I don't know