Is it wrong to date a poor guy?

I'm asking this question via my daughter account.
i'm a 41 year old lady.
First off all, i'll like to say that i have nothing against poor people. i'm a person who likes to help others and do charity.
But, right now i have a problem and i'll like to hear your opinion on it. Me and this guy have been dating ( Long Distance relationship) for 1 year. He is 36 years old. But, now since i moved to the country where he lived we have finally met each other.

He lives in Asia. The problem that i'm facing right now is that, he is really poor and i meant that he is extremely poor. He was jobless when i first came here and he has next to no money. Just to make it clear i don't give him a bunch of cash but, i did pay for him when we go out together as in for food... He now
have finally found himself a job which i'm so glad. My mother thinks that our relationship isn't going anywhere and our future is unstable mainly because of the financial problem. You'll have to understand that i cannot support him forever. i fell in love with his kindness and he never asked me for any money. i just wanted to hear your opinion on this. what would you do? if you were me.

Most Helpful Guy

• You have to do what's in your rational self-interest. What will make you rationally happy? That means prioritizing the different values you seek.

For example, you say you can't support him financially forever. Do you rationally believe that you will have to support him forever? If so, it's better to break up.

What Guys Said 3

• Nothing wrong with dating a poor guy, but be careful, some these poor people take advantage of people like you and me. I have experienced myself, I worked in south africa trying to help these poor African people, in the end I got not thanks for it, they end up abusing my nice nature for it.

By all means date him, just make sure he doesn't take advantage of you. Pretty brown has a good point.

• To be honest your young, I don't see this relationship ever working for you long term. The main thing is to be realistic to yourself and honest with yourself, where is this relationship going to go financially long term. I don't it going to last long.

• sorry your not young.

• im just gonna go ahead and say no there's nothing wrong with dating a poor guy lol. keyword, dating.

• Nothing wrong with it as long as you're not making him beieve there's more to the relationship since you clearly have made up your mind it's nothing that will be long term.

What Girls Said 3

• honestly if u had other options would u still consider dating this guy? be realistic. you will have to come out of pocket and pay for him all the time with everything until he gets on his feet, and how long could that take, if it ever happens? how do you know he's not just taking advantage of ur generousithy?

• You have a good point, I have experienced being nice to poor people, some of them do take advantage, and they don't want to help themselves. They have sort of got that victim mentality.

• poor people are very romantic lol for a little fling it would be super cool but for a long term relationship? I don't know lol

• We are in the same position. Im earning more than my boyfriend and most of the time I pay for our dates, although when he has money, he makes his way out to treat me and buy me gifts. He is very sweet, kind and understanding but financially unstable. Weve been together for more than 2 yrs. I thought I can spend no mattee how much for the person I love but lately i realized I want a partner who is financially stable. Im just tired of always taking out money from my pocket. Hey , I want to be treated like a princess too! Trust me, its not all above love. Its frustrating.