Online dating. Tell me your story?

I met a guy online and he seems to good to be true. We have so much in common, he's smart funny and very attractive. I have never met anyone online. He lives a couple hours away and we have not met in person. I can't help but think that this could all be a lie. Please tell me about your experiences with online dating and any advice you may have for me.

FYI I am not a child, I'm 23 and have a lot of experience in dating.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've gone on dates with lots of people online. I've had a few girls that I thought were too good to be true. In fact the one that was the most too good to be true used me as a rebound sadly. One thing I need to work on is to not get too attached to a girl that is simultaneously gorgeous and has a ton in common. Sometimes I screw up because I might move a little fast or unintentionally make myself not a challenge because we have a ton in common and I feel that I can talk about anything with them. My advice to you is test it out and take it slow. From my experience, any girl I've dated that moved too fast also ended fast.

As far as finding out if he's real, Skype him, add on facebook, chat on the phone, etc. Some people are also very likely to misrepresent themselves with pictures on dating sites too.

• Yes I'm definitely going to take this one very slow. Thanks for your input

• Do you think sometimes having too much in common with a potential bf/gf can do more hurt than harm? I guess it's subjective but from my experience, I tend to move a little faster because of how interested I am and when I share the same opinions as them, it might come off as I'm being agreeable with them to avoid conflict but in reality, we do share same the views, opinions and tastes.

Another thing I've learned after being with the rebounder is to not associate your common interests with a bf/gf too much because once it ends, you won't wanna think of those common interests because it reminds you too much of them.

• Honestly no. I was with another guy for over a year and we had nothing in common. It was so hard to make that relationship work because we had nothing to talk about. No common grounds. The chemistry and sex was out of this world but communication sucked. Of course that didn't last. I'd rather be with someone that has things in common with me than not because then I'll know that we're both enjoy having fun.

What Guys Said 5

• The internet is a big place. met a girl online about a month ago and we were so good for each other so far as how similar we are, I was scared she'd think I was just telling her what she wants to hear. I't takes months to learn what actual dating could tell you in just one month about a person. You may think that you guys are so similar but one thing about online dating seems to be that you think your so similar at first, and then you realize it's not as much as you originally thought. You really start to understand just how complex people are.

With that said, go for him. Get the relationship as close as possible by video chatting and calling a lot. Also helps if your creative because it can be difficult to keep things new and interesting. :)

• yeah I know what you mean. Thanks for the advice I will give this a try.

• make sure to video chat before you meet so you don't get catfished. If you get along well then I don't see a problem.

The extent of my online dating is tinder. Just had some flings through there, one girl who I was more serious with, but I was only in her country for 2 months, so it didn't really last

• Never done it, very hesitant too.

Just... idk, too much change. Only ever met girls in real life before.

• Yeah I have always been like that too but this just kinda happened

• Honestly, just video chat or phone call and continue getting to know each other. Worst that happens is you drive a couple hours to meet, he's totally fake and then you're done.

If you never pursue, you'll spend your whole life wondering "what if he was a really nice guy?"

• I've met my share of too good to be trues. They do turn out pretty awesome but just rememy they're still human and are not perfect. I've had 4 pretty good relationships from girls I've met online. I'm currently trying match. com I hope the people there Wil be more serious about what they really want.

• Yeah Im using tinder right now and it was something that just happened, I wasn't actively searching. Thanks for your input.

• Meet somewhere in public and during the day, coffee shop is perfect so you'll get a good feel on what he's like and if you get into any kind of trouble, someone will come to your aid since you're in a public place. I've dated online 3 times, not the same as real life and I got badly hurt by one of those online relationships

• What happened in the bad online relationship? Im curious how many pepple date online and have it lead to something serious. I've dated tons of people off those sites but theyve never led to anything serious.

• That's crazy man, sorry to hear that. Where'd the girl run off to? I don't think you did anything wrong since you didn't hear from her for two months and didn't get a text, call or anything from her.

• Her internet was cut off and she lived abroad and didn't have my number at the time. Well yeah, I honestly feel I did the best I could and so do my friends, can't say the same about her though but thats just the way she is, hates taking blame for anything. She took what happened waaaaaay too seriously though and the fact she went off with other guys immediately afterwards says she never even cared one bit. Oh well, im just glad I haven't married her or anyone like her lol

What Girls Said 4

• i met my boyfriend online (match. com to be specific), he lives an hr away, and is honestly the best man I have ever met. We have been together 7 months, an I feel so lucky to have met a man who treats me so well. I was nervous on our first date, but once we started taking I felt like we had known each other for ever. I think it is worth the risk to meet him (in public), all you have to loose is a little time.

• Woah okay. Been there done that. A guy lived 2 hours away from me. We dated and eventually he came over on weekends. I got a little uncomfortable and always doing the same things. I guess I didn't like him as much in person. If you are going to be thinking about dating him, try hanging out with him for at least a full week before considering it. But in person. People are way more different in person than life.

• Met my current boyfriend online. We've been together 11 months now and not really foreseeing breaking up... ever, really. I think he's the one <3 so I got lucky on it. Everyone's experience is different, though.

• Get him to Skype or some other video call!! That way you any talk and see him and if he won't then I wouldn't talk to him anymore