Why is birth control (and contraception in general) considered a "human right"?

Why is it that birth control should be free for everyone? What's the argument? All forms of contraception are essentially recreational aids/drugs (except in the <1% of cases where they're used for specific medical purposes).

Despite this, they're still covered under insurance, and people still think they're not accessible enough. What the fuck is the deal?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well birth control pills cause breast, cervical, and liver cancer, and cause blood clots that lead to heart attacks, strokes, and pulmonary embolisms. A lot of teenage girls have died after only taking birth control pills for a short time. And the longer you take birth control pills, the higher the risk of cancer and blood clots gets. Over 85% of American women of reproductive age are on birth control pills. Personally I think feminists need to stop down-playing the side effects, and pimping out these cancer pills for big pharm. It's bullshit for feminists to say they care about women, then try to put carcinogens into the vast majority of women's bodies for the sake of living a hedonistic, sexual lifestyle that empowers womanizing men...

• Not taking birth control will cause babies, there no fun either if they're not a planned. And you and I both know people are not going to stop having sex. Don't know who your source is, but the side effects of birth controll pills that extreme are quite rare. Besides, who pissed you of? You're quite pessimistic about women. Sure, there are a few feminazis out there who exaggerate (and do not understand the term equalism), but that is a very small percentage. Do no believe everything angry people on the internet say. Also, not every feminist is a feminazi. A lot of feminists are doing good things like trying to get rid of forced prostitution. Women do live comfortable lives in the Western world, but take a look outside of the western world and you can't deny that men are clearly overpowering women. You're free to find evidence to proof me wrong.

• It's better to get yourself cancer (screwing yourself over) then getting an unplanned pregnancy (screwing yourself, the father AND the baby over, because you are not mentally/financially able to handle a child). And since people aren't going to stop having sex (both women and men)... I remain a supporter of birth control. Funny how you ignored the rest of my comment. Oh well, none of my business.

• @Weirdstuff So you'd rather have cancer than babies? That's just horrible. I love babies. And Cancer has killed a lot of people I cared about... D:

What Girls Said 8

• too the lovely man who in the opions down under in the comment section who refuses to hear the other side of the story; If I inflict it to myself it's my own problem. And do you know what really horrible is? Not taking care of your child like the way it should be. If you do not have the money you need for a kid, then it will not get everything it should have (the opportunity to). How many parents in the USA can't send their kid to university in America because they can't afford it? How many kids are walking around with crooked teeth because braces were t expensive? How many kids get laughed at at school because they keep walking around with oversized worn clothes? How many parents barely have time to spend quality time with their kids because they're constantly working? etc. If parents aren't mentally ready then you have the risk of the dad bailing out, of parents always being grumpy at the kids because they're the "cause" of their misery, of parents dumping the kid at some orphanage of a dumpster, of the parents constantly fighting because they're the wrong people to live together. So yeah, I'd other inflict myself pain then to do wrong to a guy I love or an innocent child.

• I wouldn't say it's a human right but let's compare benefits to downsides.

The downside is mostly money.
    On the upside free birth control saves a lot of money in future medical and welfare spendings. Not to mention fewer STDs.
    If you think birth control is expensive try medical bills and welfare spendings for a single mother and her child

Considering out health care system pays for Viagra, I have absolutely no idea why people are against it paying for birth control?
    It by the way is just covered now. Before Obamacare it wasn't covered. Viagra on the other hand has been covered since the Bush administration

• also I think you're off about them being used for medical things in less than 1% of cases. Literally every girl I know started taking them because it makes periods less painful, not for contraception

• I didn't think it was considered a human right. Birth control and contraceptives are important to prevent pregnancy, which is great for all parties who have heterosexual sex, A condom might be considered a human right to have because that's how you protect yourself against STIs.

• It wasn't always available to women. It was viewed wrong for her to have control over her reproduction

• Paying for birth control vs paying for unwanted pregnancies, abortions, etc etc... take your pick

• Because the less it's available the higher the birth rate on an already overpopulated planet. Higher abortion rates, higher unwanted births etc

• You do understand that the majority of birth control being used by younger people (the largest demographic of users) are for medical reasons, right?

• It's the right to NOT create unwanted life.

What Guys Said 3

• People mistakenly believe that they have the right to other people's labour and money. They haven't really thought deeply about ethics.

• It's not considered a human right by rational people.

• I guess because it's considered a human right to choose whether or not you want to have babies.