Should I date a guy who isn't my type?

I have a boyfriend right now, but I met this guy right before we started dating. He just sent me a text the other day and he was so sweet. I guess I feel like I don't deserve a guy like that because my boyfriend is a jerk and an idiot. This new guy is in college and in the military. The huge kicker is he's only 21. Now, I know there are mature 21 year olds, but my roommate is a "mature" 21 year old and lets her boyfriend mooch off of her (no car, no job, always here because he has no house). I don't want to be a suga mama. I'm just leery because there's a 6 year age difference. He's also very muscular and military which is NOT my type of guy. I know he'll treat me well. What do you think I should I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• You should never go for someone not your type, it means a lot. Age is only a problem, if YOU have a problem with it.
    Don't worry about him, 21 yo very muscular and a military guy, he has girls all over him already I am sure.

Just out of curiosity what is your type?

• I like guys with meat on their bones-muscular or even just a little pudge. I like facial hair. Personality wise: educated-I mean correct grammar, preferably a degree. A job, car. I have to factor in all of these things because there are SO many guys without these traits. I also like guys who enjoy the same music as me because I like concerts

What Guys Said 6

• Gotta a jerk? Need to find a non jerk. You can give the young guy a try, its all up to you. But being young he may only be playing you.

• Tell him you're too old for him, and see what response you get from him.

Maybe you should try dating against type, if he seems down for the age difference (which is pretty insignificant at your age).

• Me and my ex were totally different, it worked out fine because we loved eachother.. we just didn't have the same interests. It can work if you and him make it work, you both have to be willing to put effort into it and find things you both like to do (for example: I liked gaming, my ex liked reading.. I didn't like reading and my ex didn't like gaming.. we compromised and picked some series we both liked and watched those).

• Go with your heart, meaning whatever you like !!! Lol

• get a guy worth yourself, you need to feel better when you get in a relationship, not worse.
    don't expect more then you are yourself

• Firstly, why go for someone who is not your type?

Secondly, I am a military man myself and the hardship that comes with it is something you would not expect in a relationship, at least that is the case for me. He may be a desk worker, I am a field operator. His level of clearance may be low or high, if high, then like me, what he can tell you is extremely limited to none. I disappear for weeks on end and all I can say is I'll be back I promise.
    So before you make a choice, be sure your ready for the whole 9 nine yards

What Girls Said 1

• Sometimes it's life experience that make a man, and I'm guessing these military guys have more life experience than others their age.

My friends boyfriend was 21 when they met, same age gap as you. He was great, but he's just becoming so childish it's unreal, some of them are just to used to mommy still looking after them at those ages.

Maybe go on a few dates with Mr military, just tell jerk dude you're going out with the girls or something. If everything seems good, just go for it. At the end of the day, you're gonna have to eventually end things with jerk dude because you know you can get better and you should know you don't need a guy like him. So why drag it out? My aswel try with Mr military and end things with the jerk one now, why wait another year or whatever, and then maybe military guy will have moved on by then to.