Do girls lie about having a boyfriend?

I'm in uni and a girl has recently joined my course. Despite having never spoken to her she added me on Facebook and started chatting away. She asks me a LOT of questions about my day, what I am doing etc... and always answers mine enthusiastically and in detail. Naturally, seeing as she's also attractive, I've started to like her. However, this morning when I asked her about what she was planning to do later on she replied that she was going to look for a birthday present for her boyfriend ! I don't get it, is she telling the truth or is she testing me? Either way I'm baffled, help me please !

Most Helpful Girl

• Some do, some don't, maybe she was looking for friendship and nothing more, maybe she wanted to gauge your reaction. Who knows except for her whether she is telling the truth or not.

• I just find it weird to be so eager to become friends especially when you consider that we had never spoken previously. In my experience friendship builds steadily unlike in this case which is fairly impulsive. I hate these guessing games lol

• Well, next time speaking to her, ask if she got something for her boyfriend, if she avoids talking bout it, or says no and talks about something else, she most likely doesn't have a boyfriend.

• That seems like the best solution, thanks ! :)

What Girls Said 6

• Some do, some don't, I don't get that if they are not happy that they can just leave because what if the other guy like likes you and he wants to be with you for the rest of tour life and your boyfriend proposes to you that then what is she gonna do lie a marriage lol...
    You get me?

• Sometimes they do lie. Bottom line is if a girl mentions a boyfriend, she probably really has one or is not interested whether she is lying or not.

• It seems I was getting my hopes up for nothing. Oh well plenty of fish in the sea...

• Yeah there should be plenty of girls there

• Some girls do or they miss out details which turn out the guy is not even their actual bf just love interest.

• I don't think she was lying..

• Sometimes saying she has a boyfriend could be her way of saying I just want to be friends kind of thing but other times she wants you to be jealous so that you try to chase her. hope this helps.

• If it's the truth, forget her.
    If she's a liar, forget her.

What Guys Said 3

• "she was going to look for a birthday present for her boyfriend"

That seems oddly specific enough that it could be true, in which case she was just making friendly inquiries previously. The "oh, sorry, I already have a boyfriend" is a common line, but this is not it.

• Yeah, I thought so too. I suppose that I've never come across a girl so eager to be "friends".

• Being friends with cool people is nice.

• i'm sure probably half the time those girls are lying just as a way to let you down easily, the other times they really do have a boyfriend

• They can, if they are trying to let a guy down gently.