Is arranging the first date in the afternoon a normal thing in western cultures?

I'm going out with a German guy. It will be our first date. He suggested that we meet up around 2pm in the afternoon, which is a bit strange to me.

Because normally here in China, people go on dates in the evening.. around like dinner time. Especially for the first date.

So I would like to know if it's a western culture thing? Thank you in advance:)

Most Helpful Guy

• The first date isn't usually very long, it might just be a little talk and some coffee. Later dates, once you know each other better, tend to be much longer. Early afternoon isn't that common but there's nothing wrong with it.

• Right.. makes sense. Thank you

What Guys Said 7

• it depends what you're doing. if im taking a girl out starting in the afternoon, it means we're going to the beach to go skating and then get some food afterwards, or going on a beach hike.

• Yeah, it depends on what you're doing. If you're going to an art museum, they are often not open at night.

• @been_waiting ill show you all the fun minus the kidnapping hahaa

• a guy setting up a date in the afternoon usually means one of two things:
    1) He just wants to assure you that sex is not the only thing on his mind.
    2) He's married and is expected to be at home at night.

• Haha, I am German and am a guy..., so listen real close.

No, arranging a date at around 2 pm seems odd to me, usually Germans like to rest from 12:00 till 3 pm until they get active again.
    Normally, Germans go on dates at around 8:15 pm...

• That's at least my observation...

• Haha, what are the odds? Thanks for answering

• Maybe , he just as no time that particular evening... i don't know... At 2pm, I watch TV or eat lunch, but don't go on dates..

• I think that he dintt wanted you to think that he wanted you to go that same night to bed, so at that time is a good moment to have a casual talk and to know each others and if is very nice you can extend the dat until next day :P

• It's more casual so if it doesn't work, you can leave sooner.

• nope. no generalization needed

• In the UK we do anytime of day or night. But mostly at night.

What Girls Said 2

• As a girl who dated two german guys with no success, it seems odd to me but i would love it better if i were in your shoes because evening dates are unnecessarily stressful and demanding too much consideration like ' did i overdres? Did i wear too much make-up?' Blah blah... Evening is more fun and there is more activity to do..

• Thank you for answering:)

• I would think it is safer for you- during the day, etc. It isn't unusual, everything doesn't have to be at night! I think people just gravitate towards evening.