Guys, what's your opinion on dating friends?

Do you think it's a bad idea because your relationship could work out and the risk isn't worth your friendship? Do you think it's better to date a girl you were initially friends with because you know you have similar interests? Pretty much, what are your thoughts and experiences with this question. Just wondering, thanks!

Most Helpful Guy

• You have an awesome smile...
    I don't care about friendship or anything... If your both interested you should go for it... And yes I would date my girl-friend if I knew we had a lot in common... And I don't believe that if you try anything you would lose your friendship !!!

• Thanks :) I agree, if someone is interested in someone else, why complicate it? If it works out, then great. If it doesn't, then it might hurt for a little bit but that's what dating is for. You're supposed to find out the type of relationship that works best for you and if your friends isn't that person, then it shouldn't be the end of the world.

What Guys Said 5

• It can go either way. There's no right way.

Some people suggest being friends first but then we got ideas like yours that claim it'll "destroy the friendship."

People just have their preferences that's all. I'd only see it as a risk if you have a lot of mutual friends because then you can become the target of gossip and potential rumors. Then there's the potential chance of breaking up and having to see each other when hanging out with other friends constantly.

• Very true. I can see it going either way where they date and get married with a happily ever after ending or a very awkward parting. The friends part would most likely be if they're immature friends. Mature friends don't go behind your back and gossip about exes.

• I just started dating my best friend of 3 years... and I was of the "Do not date Friends" camp before, but there was something about this one in particular that I had to break the rule for. It was a slow progression to this point that's sure. It's been almost 4 months since I asked her out. When I asked her out, I really botched it... and she asked for time to think about it. It took her 4 months to finally say yes!

• I have to have the friendship base before I risk a relationship. Without the friendship to fall back on, and to support it, there is no real relationship.

• I know exactly what you mean. I went out with this guy about a year ago and I didn't realize that we had absolutely nothing in common. We spent the first four months of our relationship just getting to know each other and in the end neither of us was happy. There has to be a solid base for a relationship.

• I understand completely

• I've only dated a female friends I secretly had a crush on. If we were only friends from the beginning, I keep it that way or it'll feel awkward

• I really think it great. I would feel that more comfortable than with a complete stranger. It is awkward, but it can turned info something amazing. I would take it slow, and I would not invest too much of your emotions into it. Go for it!

What Girls Said 2

• Ehh, I don't know. I've almost dated friends. It didn't work out but that was ok. We stayed friends.

• I dated my best friend.

• And how did that work out?

• We ended our marriage for a reason I can't tell here, but I still have feelings for him

• Well, I wish your family happiness and I hope everything works out for the best