What is the best way to act when someone dumps you?

My ex bf dumped me 3 days ago over text. I knew it was coming for a while, so I acted like I was cool with it and kept it quite short. I told him that I wished him the best and that his family problems would get sorted.

He went on to send me another text after, saying he wished me the best too etc.. and that maybe one day we would meet again if it was meant to be.

I didn't reply to his final text and just left it like that.

Anyway, I was wondering whether my reaction by playing it cool and not concerned is the way forward or whether I should have said something?

Most Helpful Guy

• No, you did the right thing. Your behavior was very mature and collected, under the stressful circumstances of a breakup. You handled it very well.

What Guys Said 9

• Perfect, you did exactly right. A gentle, accepting reply (regardless of how you are really feeling) and then no further response.
    As someone else said here, it makes it clear that you accept HIS decision and that is where the responsibility now lies. You accepted with dignity even though he did not do the deed face to face (which would have been more acceptable) if it was possible.
    Very mature of you and whilst it always takes a little time to recover, it is easier if you accept with dignity because you never know what will happen in the future. Sometimes people take a different view, as you may, and that is always affected by the last impression in the same way as a first impression is always long lasting. It is always best to say little and not confuse them any more than they already are.

• nah you did good already. leave it at that.

• yes it is. u did the right thing.. why? because if you act like u care too much, he will just push u away and build his ego. Never beg anyone to stay with you. By being relaxed, you showed that you can get options whenever you want and you have self respect.. guarantee u will hear from him within a few months

• Act like your not bothered tell him he didn't make u happy but u were waiting for him to end it. Don't go out and have sex with anyone else to dress yourself up go and have fun with friends and let him sit and be gutted at what he's missed out on.

• you ball your eyes out in your bedroom if you feel that way and I would have just replied thanks you too. be as calm and collective if possible and move on with your life.

• I would play it cool and leave it where he left it. That way it is more in his hands then yours. Seperations happen but let him remember he is the one who ended it. However, dumping someone over text is completely immature and not admirable.

• Yeah, I intend on not texting him ever again.. which is why I didn't reply back.

• Good idea. I wouldn't text him after being dumped through text.

• I'm proud of you, young grasshoper! I would have just said "K" but I like your style!

• Ya, ya did good kid, ya did good...

• You you should have sent this back: "Thank God! I was worried I'd need to do that."

Unless he wouldn't believe it...

What Girls Said 5

• He just dumped you so does it matter if you dont act concerned, jeezo he hurt you. If. it was me i would have replied"hahahha dont think so you had your chance you blew it"... there is a time process and it begins with no contact however hard it is for at least a month dont speak to him. After this if he text keep it casual dont get personal in the mean time do things that make you happy of he asks for your time always say you need to wait and see you are busy as of late never disclose male or female always say out with friends it will. get his back up he will want to see you to find out what you have been upto. Make sure when you do see him you look great and most important happy or he will be reminded of the reason why he chucked you. Trust me in 3months he will be at the missing you stage and you may win him back. Unless he didn't care to much for you and may have moved on

• i would have done the same, leave it :)

• Give him the cold shoulder.

• I think your fine what do you really say i hope so too. Like he just broke up with you your better off acting like your okay with it then begging him not to do it or something. That's a great way to handle it tbh.

• yes.. it was good.. the chance is higher that he'll wonder if he made a mistake in the future