Boyfriend hates my career?

I'm majoring in piano performance in college, so I basically eat sleep and breath classical music. I know it's what I want to do for the rest of my life, but my boyfriend hates classical music. I want to marry my boyfriend. Whenever I play songs, I think about him. I want to share it with him! But he never wants to go to concerts with me, and he never wants to go to my performances, even when I tell him that I dedicate those pieces to him! I always listen to him talk about his car things, and I go to car shows with him, so is this something I should expect him to do for me? I don't want to make him do something he doesn't want to do, but I wish I had his support. Should I discuss this with him? And how?

Most Helpful Guy

• You should expect him to show some interest in your music. He may not find the music interesting, but he finds you interesting, and your interests are an extension of you. So, I think he should make some effort to show up at your performances. He shouldn't have to go to every one, and ALWAYS be by your side, but he should be their at least on occasion.

He should be doing this because you deserve his support. I don't think you telling him that he should be there to support you fixes the problem though. He has to come to this realization by himself. That way, it shows that he's there supporting you because he actually wants to. He shouldn't be there just because you told him he should come along, and he feels guilted into it.

I don't know how to fix this problem. If he's truly a decent guy, he should be the one who says something about it to you, not the other way around.

• That's exactly how I feel. I just wish he would realize it. Sadly I feel like he never will

• Then you should decide what you want in your life. Him or your passion.

He seems very egomaniac, he should really care about your lifes dream, even if you are to fail, which I don't think you will.

What Guys Said 2

• You guys don't share the same interests, You can either accept that and do your thing and he does his or you meet someone else who is into the same hobbies. Not much to tell here. Your bf won't change his mind anytime soon. If he doesn't like it he doesn't like it. Annoying him with it just makes it more complicated.

• He is probably not interested in piano music in general and doesn't feel you'll get the gig you'd need to make it big.

• And that is a very poor way of having a relationship..

What Girls Said 1

• He only cares about your finances. He is guessing it won't be a stable job and feed the kids in the future.