Asking to see boyfriend's phone?

In the past, I caught my boyfriend texting and flirting with girls via text and Facebook. We recently got back together and I asked to see his phone, but he got really upset saying that I wasn't trusting him. I am trying and he knows, but there are times when i doubt. I do respect his privacy and DO NOT snoop, but was that really wrong? It's not like I snooped and before I never would ask. It's only because things that had happened in the past. He let me look, but he got upset...

Also, he looks at my phone although i've never done anything. He never asks when he does either.
The final straw of our breakup was another girl. She sent me a message on FB that he was with her last night and sent me screenshots of their conversations and him talking about sex with her. There were incidents before of him having sex messages on Skype. And others. He used to leave his phone out and I'd never touch it or wonder... It is just with what happened before that causes me to wonder and at times... feel insecure about it.

Most Helpful Guy

• Trust is the keyword. By asking to see you're comunicating that you don't trust him to stay 100% faithfull, and does not trust him to tell the truth.
    Don't ask him to show, ask him to tell if you wonder. Give HIM the chance to tell the truth first, wether it be good or bad. And don't get mad at him if you don't like the truth. Be understanding, and let him explain. Listen exactly as much as you expect him to listen to your problems! Then you two are to work it out TOGETHER
    THAT is how to solve it

• I'm also not saying it is ok because what he did. I'm not trying to validate my actions I just want to understand. I feel as if he should be more understanding of me wanting to see considering past incidents. I am doing my best to trust him, but it is still new since the reconciliation. I don't completely distrust him. i wanted reassurance.

What Guys Said 5

• You don't need to be going through his phone.
    If you don't trust him, break up with him. Can't have a solid relationship without trust.

• For me I don't have anything to hide from a girl as far as faithfulness comes, but I feels it's very evasive when a girl asks to see my phone, because I do talk about personal things with other people. Also usually when a girl asks besides to change a song or look something up, it's because they want to go through my texts.

• why did you go back to him, i have always said if a guy cheats on you, you break up but then give him another chnace your basically telling him oh its ok fuck up our relationship its fine because eveytime you do it i'm going to forgive you, personally i wouldn't of taken him back the first time. let alone giving him an opotunity to (pardon the expression) fuck you over a second.

• I don't see why y'all can't browse through each others phones. You see his, he sees yours... everything's 50/50.

• Time to move on.

What Girls Said 2

• well you are ok for having your doubts because you caught him before but his phone textx, calls, etc is his privacy you shouldn't really see it.

• If he has a problem with it then he's hiding something.