Is love even real? Or is it just chemicals messing with our minds?

I'm quite confused about love now. I personally think that the "love" bond between two people is just an intensified feeling of friendship spiked with lust and some other feelings. This feelings and relationship simply exist to help fulfill our inborn desire to reproduce and pass down genetic information. (Which is probably also why people cheat) These feelings are also just created by hormones and other chemical triggers in our bodies so technically speaking, love is just chemicals messing with our minds.

But the normal and not so analatycal part of me just wants to think that true love exists and there are real soul mates out there.

Also I think I might just trying to convince myself that love doesn't exist so I shouldn't put my heart out there so I don't get hurt. I really don't know which one is most accurate and what I should do..

thanks for reading and giving your opinion :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Consider couples who have been together 30 or even 50 years. You think love is all about chemicals being produced in excitement.
    No , that doesn't work.
    Think on this. A young man buys a second hand car. He cleans it, polishes it. Over the next couple of years he checks every part of it and improves, nurtures and looks after the car. He really has a love for the car, but the car doesn't care.
    Consider a mother and her children, she looks after their every need and really loves those children.
    People love for how much THEY do for the other party. The giver always loves.
    A man works all his life to look after his wife, their home and his children. Often the wife when their are children, shifts her focus solely to the children and the man takes a back seat. Is there any surprise when the children leave that she does not know any longer how she feels about this man? Many marriages fail at this point in a marriage.
    In a good relationship both parties must be givers or there is an inbalance.
    Lust is something else. Think about it.

• Yea that makes a lot of sense, thanks

What Guys Said 6

• for me, I believe its real. I read the scientific discoveries and reasons why they made love into more of a chemical thing and science instead of emotion and whatever. but I choose to believe its feelings and emotions more than science. as for the soul mates part, idk, people do die alone never meeting anyone, maybe it was just a misfortune though.

• I believe true love is when one's soul connects to another's, also known as soul mates. One can numerous soulmates, but one will be your true love.

• Oh, it's quite real. And quite the feeling. As much as it's easy to dislike it at times, nothing really beats that feeling.

• It's a real feeling that is caused by chemicals affecting your mind. Same as every other feeling.

• Chemical, when I fell in love with this girl, I felt much more confident, but when I lost interest, I reverted back to being quiet.

• Love is real. What most people call love is just infatuation. Infatuation is a powerful but selfish emotion. It also doesn't last forever. Real love is a commitment to sacrifice for another person. Relationships should be based on real love, trust, respect, communication, and compatibility.

What Girls Said 1

• I think love is real but you can have different types of love with different people... <3