Europeans, are they as strict on age differences as they are in the US?

While legally here in the US, despite age of consent is 16 in many states, many feel it is unethical for a 20 year old to date a 16 year old.

Is it the same in Europe. Are parents just as apprehensive about it there as they are here?

• Yes
  • No
  • See answers

Most Helpful Girl

• Here in Spain those relationships are very common. My boyfriend is 10 years older than me, my father's 5 years older than my mother and teenage girls don't usually want teenage boys, they look for guys in their twenties (is that correct? xD). Those guys don't mind about our age if we aren't as inmature as unbearable. They think they can trust more in us than in older girls. If the girl is responsable and knows what she does there's nothing to be worried about.
    Relationships when the guy is younger are more uncommon but I think they're the same.

• I love Europe already

What Girls Said 10

• I'm not aware of we even having an age of consent in my country? But that's because there's a lot of unwritten rules everyone knows about and each case is a different case.
    On another note, we don't have many 20 something guys interested in highschoolers. They will probably be laughed at by their friends and everyone will think of it as weird. Including the girl. She may be young, but he's old... it just doesn't happen that naturally.

Anyway, each case is a different case.

• The age of consent is 15, and once your past there you can date anyone and nobody cares. 15 and 24 is completely normal.
    I've grown up in an international environment though, with people who are pretty much from all over the world, and it seems to me that they are much less relaxed when it comes to age differences. 2 years is already a lot to some.
    I guess the eastern folk's got different boundaries :D

• You mean it's 15 in Czech Republic?

• @MoonMice Yep. I personally think it's not ideal for 15 year old girls to date guys in their mid 20s, but each to their own I guess..

• It's 14 here, and yeah, I agree. I think it's impossible to draw a perfect line.

• Umm, it depends on the country. But generally speaking, it's frowned upon.

• Ya pretty much. There is a reason people think it's weird and it also applies in Europe.

How parents are depends on the country and the parents. Overall there are some very liberal countries France/Sweden/Norway/ Netherlands and some rather conservative ones Italy/Spain/Portugal and some that fall in the middle Germany/UK/Belgium
    Most people are fairly tolerant with teenagers dating but over 20 is pushing it a little

• What if the 20 year old fails socially and never had a gf?

Also, again i am trying to gain answers from European people

• I used to live in Europe for a while and that's what I found

• It's funny you mention Italy as a conservative one, because it is very common in Italy for older guys to date teenage girls, and everyone is accepting or at least tolerating of it. I'm personally not a huge fan of it. (I'm half Italian myself).

• Mostly because it's often 20+ year olds who fail socially who're trying to date high school students still. Nobody cares if a 20 & 24 year old date, though.

• I am one who fails socially. But your opinion is invalid because I am asking about Europe and their customs

• If the guy is more of a responsible and well adjusted type people don't seem to mind as much.

• While European parents have less say in what their kids can or can't be with.. I have always raised eyebrows at those college students go for hs students.

• I live in Sweden and I guess that age difference isn't a big deal for many people. A friend to my sister had a boyfriend who was 19 when she was only 14. She thought it wasn't strange at all, but everyone else saw it in a different way.
    But I don't think my parents would let me date someone who is much older than me, while I'm still not grownup.

• in Europe is 18 if they cutesh u with under 18 u will be dead :3

• Are you from Europe?

• What country just curious?

• @Asker Morocco

• The eu is very relaxed with that sorts thing

• Wow in our country it's okay

• What country?

• Really? Wow. That's just a small difference. Well I think you'll find someone there who hasn't lost their virginity yet. :)

• I highly doubt that. 60 percent of females have had intercourse by their senior year. Many of these statistics were taken before events like prom and homecoming. Taking that into consideration, I can bump that percentage up another 10 to error on the side of caution. So it is safe to say that 30 percent of females (or 3 out of 10 females) will graduate a virgin.

What Guys Said 10

• Generally speaking, Europeans are more relaxed when it comes to dating and sex (and heroin) then Americans are. Is this a good or bad thing? Depends on your perspective.
    Americans see dating from a more quantitative viewpoint. A 16 year old and a 20 year old are very different in maturity, thinking, and life status. That's why Americans don't like big age gaps (relatively), it doesn't synchronize everything. Being someone who once dated a barely 15 year old girl when I was 17 nearly 18, I can tell you that age differences are mega important. Our outlooks on life, time management, wants/desires, etc. were so different from each other the entire relationship collapsed.
    Europeans are qualitative, where age and maturity don't really matter as long as there's grass growing on the field.

Personally, I think the good old age equation is the best way to dispute age differences. (1/2)*(oldest partner's age) + 7 = (acceptable minimum younger partner's age) . Example: (1/2)*(18) + 7 = 16. As the age increases on the older partner, the minimum age becomes further and further away, leading to bigger age gaps being acceptable.

• In Europe whilst the age of consent may be 16 I think people a little older are careful of dating girls under 18.
    Once girls are 18 they may date a guy of 24 or 25 and this is not going to raise any eyebrows.
    In England as people get older any age gap of more than 5 years and people may comment, but mainland Europe seem to be more tolerant to larger age gaps as people get past 30 years.
    Then as you go to some countries it can be acceptable for a man to be 20 or more years older than his wife when she is around the 40 year age (so her husband may be 60) .
    See Rod Stewart and Harrison Ford. The older people are the more age gap seems acceptable.

• Here you can date anyone from the age of 14 if I recall correctly.

But you mustn't make recordings of sexual activity until she's 18 or it's "underage pornography".

I've heard of someone who was 16 year old but was dating a 32 year old dude.
    She cheated on him on his 32nd birthday, actually.
    I'm actually more legitimately surprised that apparently she was proud of it and was telling everyone about how cool she was by doing so, hence why the whole school knew about it, even me although I wasn't really part of the social circle that was involved with her. Weird shit.

Anyways, it's not as strict.

• Just go and bang a whore, and get it over and done with. Then all this obsession with teenage virgins immediately won't matter shit. It might be illegal if you have to pay for it (depending where you live), but it's not immoral.
    The 100th woman you bang will be even better than the first or second.

• Well personally im dating a girl from Europe and im 17 and the girl is 24. From what I know most of her friends are cool with me dating her even though im so young. So I believe it is more laid back.

• Lol not at all, the reason is because creepy pedophiles are more common in the US with TV shows such as "to catch a predator" amplifying this fear.

A 16 yo is physically capable of having sex and making her own choices, but I personally would not have sex with a 16 year old because of their immaturity, I only date 18+

I was in Spain and saw many 16 year old girls in relationships with men in their mid to late 20s, and they seemed like normal people to me, it is purely a cultural thing.

• In italy it seems that girls tend to date guys who are 3-6 years older than them. It just means those guys have more to offer them. i dated a girl in italy that was 2 years older than me one summer so i guses it goes both ways sometimes.

• Dude, are you the same guy who was asking about finding virgin woman. Why are you obsessed with young girls? Looking through comments I know you're the same person but this time you went anonymous.

• In most European countries the age of consent is 16, in some even 14. And it's nowhere near as strict as in the US.

• I think America wants to act like its the most moral country on earth when its actually the least moral.

• That is true. American culture has sort of spit in my face. Virgin girls around my age are incredibly difficult to find, surprisingly at the age of 20. The very vast majority of females lose their virginity before graduating high school. Only a mere fraction enter their freshman year of college never having intercourse.

Then to make matters worse, a guy like me who is a virgin that wants his first time to also be shared with another virgin is doomed. Because not only is it hard to find them my age, American culture has severely limited the age difference. So while I have a better chance of finding a virgin girl that is 16 (only a mere 4 years apart), I will have daddy on me with a gun shoved down my throat.

So, to sum it up, here in America I am backed into a corner. It is what I call a Catch 22.