Cuts and Scars- how ugly are they?

I have one big scar on my leg and a few small ones that will fade. Im wondering how unattractive a guy will find me. Superficially I know I have lots going for me. I get straight A's, I'm pretty and i exercise to make sure I have a good figure and i'm also a good person; but I feel like boys are just going to be repulsed by the idea of me cutting myself. What do you think?
(BTW i did not cut for attention and I'm not needy and I don't lack confidence so I don't think me having self harmed would ever be a burden to a boyfriend)

• I wouldn't dare date a girl like that
  • I Could get past it if she was 'better'
  • I Would want to help her

Most Helpful Guy

• Please get help. Self infliction is a big problem and no guy would want to be with a woman who is hurting her self! best of luck and please seek help.

• aw see the thing is I really dont do it intentionally, I am seeing some people about having bipolar type II so yeah I am finding help for it. Im thinking bringing bipolar into the situation would be even more for a boy to handle though! Thanks

• well thank you : )

• no problem. Best of luck with all your future relationships and health!

What Guys Said 5

• Scars are cool if they have a good story behind them, and short of modeling, I don't think anyone really cares that much. What concerns me is that they are self-inflicted, which is a serious warning sign, and I'd like to echo PiuBelloAmante that you should seek counseling about it.

• i canĀ“t vote on any of that. generally scars are not ugly, if they arenot huge. scars from self harm though, will kind of repulse me at first and she will have to confince me, that her character is ok. i am not the guy, that refuses to help but i dont want a mess of a person as a partner.

• I have a scar under my eye from football. Chicks dig scars right... And self inflicting is not cool, definitely want to help but would keep my distance. First and foremost is focus on losing that habit, then focus on dating and relationships my opinion

• Yeah scars on boys is okay but i never assumed scars on girls is different. Thank you

• *I mean i never assumed guys though scars were interesting, i thought they were turn offs

• they are fine no prob

• If you are still cutting then I would not date you, I would support you as a friend but nothing more. If you were however, a recovering cutter that had old scars then I could date you if I was sure you were free from it.

• okay thank you- I do really regret it so I dont want to ever cut again. What would think if the cutting/depression was linked to a form of bipolar? Its possible I might have it- does that make the situation worse?

• Well in that case I would maybe date you, but you really need to seek help for these problems!
      Get well!

• haha thanks i will be fine! : )

What Girls Said 8

• I have a few dozen scars on my arm/wrist/thighs/hipbones, all from self harm and mostly faded to thin white although still noticeable if you look close. I don't talk about them with guys unless they notice and actually ask, it's never a positive impression when they find out so it's better to keep these things to yourself unless you have very deep trust in someone (not in the beginning of a relationship definitely). Guys don't see scars as gross or off-putting physically, it just makes them reconsider everything about you and subconsciously want to back off so they don't have to deal with your problems.

• aw yeah i thought as much, thank you xxx

• you're welcome :) don't let it bother you though, if you leave it behind and find the right person for you some white lines on your body aren't going to affect your happiness in any way. best of luck x

• I'm a girl and boys can be selfish as fuck. They just care about looks and tits that stuff. If i was a boy I would care about the personality and I would help the girl get through things.

• A scar is a scar. Guys don't pay attention to things like those. We all have at least one. Consider them your battle scars. They're what helped you become the better person you are today.

• Aw thanks I hope thats the case xx

• Physical scars are only skin deep, they can fade or be hidden or covered by cream from a good dermatologist, the only thing that would affect a realtionship would be if u still had underlying issues, but this doesn't seem the case with u, your a strong confident person, only someone shallow minde, immature or had insecurities themselves would allow it to be an issue with them,

• If a man is close enough to notice the scars, he ain't gonna care about them. And there's nothing wrong with scars anyway

• They're not ugly. I have a couple. Meh.

• Based on what you said, there doesn't seem to really be a problem big enough to make you do this. If it is, however, it would definitely have an impact on your potential boyfriend. Also, stop. It only make things worse.

• I find scars cool, even on guys they look sexy to me. when i was younger i wanted a scar across my eye like Scar from lion King cause it looked cool to me lol

• haha thanks - i have look at sally's legs from the night mare before Christmas to be okay with it : P