Should the women take the man's last name if they get married?

The poll says it all. What's your choice?

• I'm a girl and I would take his last name.
  • I'm a girl and I would not take his last name.
  • I am a guy and I want her to take my last name.
  • I am a guy and I don't care if she doesn't take my last name.

Most Helpful Girl

• I WOULD take his last name but it's not because I feel like I "should" or that any woman "should" I just want my children, husband, and I to have the same name.

It's just symbolic really.

What Girls Said 12

• I'm getting married next July, I will be taking my fiancĂ© / Husband's last name as my own. I have two brothers carrying on the family name, I'm not worried about it getting lost to history. I'm not worried about losing my personal identity, I am gaining an identity as a married woman. I love him and everything about him, including his name.

• I personally would not mind taking my husbands last name, but I would like to combine my last name with his since I'm the last one with my last name and just don't want the name to die out.
    My family served proudly in the military with my last name and I want it to continue

• "Should"? It's her choice, their should be no should.

• This was a question to the women only originally. Should sounded grammatically correct.

• I voted A because that's what I'm doing. But if a woman wants to keep her name, or have both names, or even if the man takes her name, I don't care. People can do what they want with their names after they get married.

• Only if she wants to.

• When I was younger I always assumed 100% that I'd take my future husband's last name... but as I've gotten older that has changed..

Now I don't think I'll take his last name... and if I did, I'd probably hyphen the two names so our children have both names.

^^ Reson for this being is that there is only my sister and I in our family, with no boys, our last name will die out... so now I'm determined to carry the last name. If I had a brother, this would be different.

• Nah. She shouldn't have to if she doesn't want to.

• As for me, I doubt I'll ever get married, so it's not something I have to care about.

• Eh, the last name thing I don't care about.

• personally, I wouldn't take his last name.

• Why can't she choose?

• She can. That's the point of the question, if mis worded.

• Everyone who marries has to deal with this question no matter their choice. So it's a big deal at sometime. Don't like it, then ask him to take your name. Society will look down on him though whether you think that is right or not. don't take his name, you choice but he will see if as a slap on the face 93% of the time - that's a real stat too. Don't take his name and what will the kids be called? Normally in that situation they take the fathers name but then the moms name is different that the rest of the family. Someone's name has to change, most go with tradition.

• If his name is ugly, I won't take it. Besides that, I am an only child. Maybe if I have two boys I will give one my last name and give one his.

• Depends on the individual couple; if I got married (I'd prefer to be in one of those couples where you're just engaged forever to be honest lol, so much sexier to be someone's fiancee than their wife!) I'd prefer if the guy took my name because I'm the only one in my family who has it (It's my Mum's maiden name and my Dad's name together; and none of my cousins on either side have either name); but if he really wanted me to change my name then I suppose I would

What Guys Said 6

• To be frank, I don't really care about the name change that much. I will say that the hyphen thing is pretty ridiculous, but to each their own.

What I always find funny are the girls who are "traditional" daters (i. e., makes the guy chase, pay, entertain while dating) yet insist that the name tradition is sexist and unfair. Like that doesn't just scream "red flag."

• It wouldn't bother me if she didn't take my last name, but I definitelydo not want to hyphenate our children's last names, to the point that I would just make up a new name for them.

• why so against the hyphen?

• It looks awful when it's written out. Plus, it only solves the naming problem for one generation, unless the people are crazy enough to have a last name with more than one hyphen (Smith-Jansen-Goldstein-Cortez, for instance).

• I agree with this. Hyphenated names are a pain in the dick. I have a hyphenated MIDDLE name and it has been confusing on gov't documents and shit.

• They're getting married and creating their own family. They shouldn't have to do anything. They should make up their own traditions; whatever makes them happy.

• It just seems so wrong for the guy to take the woman's name. But in those cases, at least it gives you an indication of who wears the pants. Ugh.

• I voted D because I really don't care either way.

• I'd be happy if she took my last name, but I wouldn't get upset if she doesn't.