Would you date a man/woman in the military?

With Veterans Day coming up, I thought I'd ask this simple question... Why or why wouldn't you date someone in the military?

• Yes (you would)
  • No (you wouldn't)
  • Maybe (not sure)
    Vote C
  • Show Results
    Vote D
Select a gender to cast your vote:

135

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I'm active duty US Air Force, so I'd totally date other military personnel. The closest I ever got to dating a civilian was the Air Guard lol.

And I just want to throw this out there to people with the common misconception that all military personnel have the same job: LESS THAN 20% OF MILITARY PERSONNEL WILL EVER HAVE TO USE A GUN. This includes the cops! The vast majority of military occupations are things that civilians do every day. We have finance people and dentists, photographers and news reporters, computer technicians and training managers. I'll accept a decision to not date military, but you'll need an actual reason if I'm gonna respect it.

What Girls Said 12

• Being an army brat since I was born, It's stressful having to move all the time but I think it's just part of life now, I've been living in one house for 2 years and it's making me anxious to move again haha... It really messes you up.
    But there is pride in being a military family member, Plus I love a guy in uniform :)

• I'm talking to one, & will potentionally date him. He is a marine. It's just the fact that it makes them so much more masculine, gives me a sense of protection. Of course, the downfall is their career at times. But, you can't help who you fall for. They are still human & need loving too. So why not date them?

• Preferably I'd date someone with a safe, boring office job, but you know if he was the one I wouldn't turn him down.
    I would hope that he leaves at some point though. Part of my childhood was in the army and frankly it sucked

Also for some of them I don't get their attitude towards war. Like my boyfriends grandad has this german helmet at home on display that he got during ww2, still with blood on it.
    And my dad has this friend who seems to be very keen on being the last soldier to walk out of Afghanistan. That's not something I could live with, but that'd be true also if he wasn't in the military

• I'm not against it, but so many of them get super violent and I've seen so many PTSD stories, I think I'd rather not date them.

• Yep, im engaged to my marine right now :)

• I have a crush on one right now... so hot.

• I love the military and have lots of friends and family who are in it.

I would absolutely date a military guy.

• No and No for both men and women. That's too risky.

• No i wouldnt. This is a period. I dont care how hot rich and smart. I wouldnt.
    Extremely conservative unnecessarily patriotic sick minded brain washed people most military members are..

• Holy shiz, you're the brainwashed one. We're just normal freaking people with special jobs and awesome uniforms.

• since when is it called brainwashed to state your own opinions?
      my father is also in the army.
      i know "most" of them and how they are and how they act.
      that is why i said "most"..
      you might not be one of them.. and this is not my problem.

• I used to say no, but now I have a boyfriend in the navy, so... apparently I actually would, haha. I don't like the idea of it, just because I'm not comfortable with any violence (so I would be terrified of my boyfriend having to hurt someone or getting killed), and my dad would always share his military stories, which weren't exactly pleasant. I respect the military, truly, I just never wanted to date someone who was part of it.

But in the end, I'm not going to reject a great guy just because he's in the military.

• Well, I hope someone dates me...

• My fiance was a marine. He was killed overseas...

I dont think i could ever date someone in the service again. The constant worry and never knowing drove me insane. And with how my last relationship ended... I wouldn't survive having to go through that again.

• I'm sorry for your loss and god bless his soul. They fell, but o'er their glorious grave
      Floats free the banner of the cause they died to save. Marines don't die, they just regroup in hell/heaven

What Guys Said 5

• I could do it, I have a great respect for all of our servicemen and would be willing to deal with my girl being overseas. The real problem I would run into would be child rearing. I want to have like 6 kids (while im young) and if she is in the military she is not likely going to be able to do so (she would be medically discharged) but the time constraint (like if she was deployed for 6 months) I don't think would really bother me. We could Skype, call each other, send letters, and the like. I also like independence and think that the sex when she got home would be INCREDIBLE!

• That'd be kinda hot, in a stereotypical way.

But I don't know if our ideologies wouldn't clash sooner or later. I mean, there's a lot about the military I dislike. Don't get me wrong, there's also a lot about it that's necessary and good. But yeah, it'd depend on where she stands on certain issues.

• I am from a military family and I did actually date a women who is now in the military so.

• No offense but I couldn't date someone from the military and be worried every minute for the rest of my life.

• Why would you be worried?

• Many people here seem to think that we're all a bunch of gun-weilding assholes. I've told someone that I'm a jet engine mechanic in the Air Force.
      And he said "Ew, no, I can't date you. Because you kill people for a living."
      I was like "... What?" The only reason I touch a gun is once a year to make sure I still know how to operate one.

I mistook you for someone that generalized our military like that; someone who hated us or feared being close to us because of the >20% who actually do the dangerous work.

• @jeanbean I have a deep respect for everyone that serves their country, after all it wasn't too long ago Finland was attacked by Russia. There is a pretty big difference by how our armies work tho, in Finland every male has to go to the army for 6-12 months when he turns 18, this is to make sure that every Finnish man is ready to defend his country if needed.

Because of that we don't have a lot of people actually working for the military, and at least when we talk about people in the military here we mean people that are in Afghanistan or on other missions.
      So I'm sorry if I misunderstood you as I'm not really used to looking at the way you describe it.

• Never. The military in my country is used to destroy and kill the poor in other lands. I am disgusted with the military and it's leaders. I do feel badly for some of the more ignorant as they believe what they are doing is righteous but would never date a sheep or stupid person.

• I would never date an ass like yourself lol

• Where are you from?

• The US