Guy rejected me for another girl, yet really wants me to stay in his life?

I met this guy a few weeks ago, went on an awesome date with him and we really hit it off and shared a ton of similar interests. About a week ago though, he told me he met another girl who he likes better but he still wants to remain friends and keep getting to know me more. I explained that I was upset with him for leading me on, and he said he felt very bad and was willing to work hard to win my trust back.

He's actually followed through: texting me first, mentioning wanting to hang out again because he "loves my personality" and is still attracted to me, while claiming he still likes this other girl better but not talking about her much. I've never had a guy put in this much effort for friendship before without wanting something romantic with me. I don't know what his deal is, but I feel like I'm being treated as a second runner-up. What do you guys think? We're both in college, by the way.

Most Helpful Guy

• Sounds like he's keeping you on the back burner if something goes south in the relationship he's pursuing.

What Guys Said 1

• I think that if a guy had more than one girl to choose between, it would come down to who he thought he would last longer with. It's very hard to choose one and stay friends with the other. Just be open with what you think

What Girls Said 1

• Say no he's an ass