What has dating taught you about yourself?

I re-entered the dating world after being out of it a very long time. Initially I approached it like I had when I was young. I have been challenged both in what exactly I am after by dating and how the whole process should work. Along the way, I have learned a bit about myself - like eagerness to leap in head first for the right person (which are few and far between) and too much aversion to risk. What has been your experience? Have you learned anything about yourself or changed how you approached dating along the way?

Most Helpful Girl

• Daring has taught me to learn how to love my alone time. To not absorb myself into the relationship but to keep having a time for just me and my life. Just because I'm in a relationship doesn't mean I have to lose myself or stop doing the things that I love.

• That's very true. In fact, in my opinion, when a couple has there own interests and bring back come thing new to the relationship, it makes it even better.

• Amen! Just because we are a we, doesn't mean I have to lose me

• Dr Seus does dating and relationship books? qc:

Kidding. I agree.

What Girls Said 9

• It has taught me that being honest and straight forward isn't as aggressive as women worry it is; a lot of them hold back how they feel or what they're thinking because they're afraid of seeming too forceful or that they'll hurt someone's feelings. Now, I am very to the point, and I say everything I feel (to his face if it is very important, never via text!) out of respect for him and myself. I'm not at all aggressive and no one has ever assumed me to be, guys just love that I'm honest and don't play games.

• I learned that guys doesn't deserve trust and if you wanna to wine you must be bitchy or bitch, and life doesn't depend on guys I can be happy even if I stay single my whole life, did teach me guys are jerks all what in there minds is girls body, they don't care if they destroy someone to get what they want I got many lessons from dating.

• Wow, doesn't sound like you've had a positive experience. 'sorry to hear. It is true that you should be happy by yourself.

• That most guys my age (17/18) think we their other head and it's not worth the struggle atm. Most don't know what their looking for in a relationship past visual aesthetics and a nice girl. Like they want one just to mess around with (and maybe some emotional comfort?) Maybe later in college I might date. :)

• I learned that when I fall in love with someone, I fall hard. I'll do anything in my power to make them happy & put them first before I do anything for myself or try to make myself happy. I use get treated like shit in every relationship that I'm in. I'm trying to change that though. I'm tired of being walked all over.

• Sorry to hear. I dated someone who challenged nearly everything I believed about dating. I suppose I fall into the "fall hard" category, but she has given me pause to think about *why* I approach things as I do... and why I feel so strong, particularly so early. I hated being challenges like that, but I'm thinking on the back side of it, that I'm recognizing things about myself that I would not have otherwise. Now, it's a matter of adapting (but not becoming bitter), right?

• You're exactly right.

• It's taught me how much it's about myself. Not the grow up, school, meet someone, settle down, kids, grow old.,

That's now a fairy tale. That isn't it at all. It's about just being at peace. Things come n go, people come n go and the ability to keep that inner flame unwavering.
    That's my take...

• So, does that mean people do no have enduring relationships anymore?

• Example: 1 in 3 kids are without Dad's in their home or life.. That is about 23-25 million Children in the US. So, yes! It is saying it's common place enduring relationships do not exist anymore. It's a cultural break down, change is society, rise in addiction, economic, many factors contribute. It's sad but true.

• do a tip toe first, trust what your heart tells , dont ignore red flags

• what has dating taught me?
    that i can't get a date...
    hahaha
    its true though

• Ready for some alliteration? Here's the key: Persistence, Patience and Positive attitude... okay that wreck the alliteration. Anyway, it happens, just takes time and putting yourself out there.

• haha. yeah i know but im not searching for dates, im talking to someone, I've just never been on a date.. which is fine, itll happen when im good and ready and right now I've got more important things to focus on

• I was way too nice with the wrong guy.

• What is the consequence of being too nice?

• Too nice by not asking questions

• ok, gotcha. Yes, it's important to spend time getting to know someone. For me, it's one of the best parts if you really click. And then, heck, you learn so much about them... and yourself as you reveal who you are.

• i have never dated in my life. i don't think i missed out on much.

What Guys Said 7

• That hook ups and one night stands are better. Too much time consuming for a relationship and too much advice or tips that it becomes so complicated and not wanting to try. Their is also waaay to much prejudging. Like if the looks aren't the best, the persona will not be the best.

Dating needs to die since people emphasis it way to much.

• I am a huge dick.

• That im tired of hitting on shy girls

• It has taught me that I have a long way to go physically before I can make a woman happy. It has also taught me that I shouldn't settle for someone who doesn't really care about me just because I think I'll never get another gf ever again.

• I've never dated so nothing lol

• I end up getting emotionally invested far more than the other person, which inevitably leads to me being up shits creek.

• Do you think some people invest too soon or are more inclined to do so? If so, is this necessarily a bad thing?

• Probably I've had 3 serious ones I've gotten into all I was the last man standing... The one night stands and stuff I've had not so much.. I think people who haven't had many close relationships probably get more attached to the notion of love and the warm and fuzzies that come with it.

• Interesting. So you think that if you don't have many close relationships you will expect one, and if you do have many then you won't expect one in the person you are dating?

• It taught me. I wasn't really looking for love , I was just bored and looking company.

• Some decide to date casually when that happens, some decide to get involved in activities they like, how did you decided to approach things once you realized what you were after?

• again, props.

• Thanks.