" I don't need a man." Is it really a turn off?

Guys, you've probably heard a girl say one time or another that she doesn't need a man. How does this phrase sound to you? is it a turn off? The way I interpret this is that this girl is content with being single, but if she was in a relationship she'd need HER man. I've heard men say they like a women who can hold out on their own and others who say that they want a women who needs a man in there life. Which one is it?

Girls feel free to comment too! :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, it's a turn off. I can't stand it when I hear girls say this. I interpret it as if they think that men have nothing to offer them, so why bother getting married. So, of course this annoys me because men (including myself) certainly have A LOT to offer a woman. Will I do some stupid things, we'll yeah most definitely. Hell, I'll probably do some real stupid things, but that doesn't mean that I don't have other positive qualities/characteristics.

I like confident and independent women who are not full of themselves. They DON'T NECESSARILY NEED A MAN in their lives, but want one because they're not ultra feminists who believe that men are meaningless, unnecessary, or just obsessed with sports. Basically a girl with good perspective on life.

• Basically it's okay to not need a man, but saying it is offensive to men?

• Methinks he's referring to the attitude that comes with said phrase. Usually it's said out of bitterness and contempt for all men and I agree with @funkipunk on his points.

• Thank you @MaskedSanity

And yes, the attitude a girl (usually has) while saying this strongly contributes to my disliking of the phrase

What Guys Said 14

• No, it does not bother me. I would rather a girl who is not too needy during the relationship. Although some girls say it out of anger or spite and don't really mean it.

• They really don't mean it most of the time. It's surprising how many guys are turned off by it. But i can see why now O. o

• 2|0
  • On the contrary it turns me on. There's nothing sexier than a smart, well educated, independent woman that's going places.

• Huge turn on!! Independent women who know how to handle themselves hot and evolved! Be your own knight in shining armor.

• It really wouldn't matter to me. The way i see it is every person has gotten threw there life so far without a significant other. I don't think most women need their man to be just fine. So any women that in my opinion actually comes out and says this, probably has a grudge in my opinion, so i would probably avoid them.

• I thought that's what girls said when they couldn't get a boyfriend.

• Probably some stuck up man hating feminist.

Definitely a turn off.

• Not a turn off. I think that both have to be fulfilled in their own lives and with themselves and a relationship will merely enhance their lives.

• Yeah it's a turn off. If you don't need a man, then I won't try to go after you. Whenever I hear "I'm an independent woman who don't need nobody", I wonder what good I would be to her if she apparently doesn't need anyone, and move on to the next girl.

• When she says that it makes me think, if you dont need a man then why should I date you.

• Big turn off, if she "doesnt need a man" then have fun being single/lesbian and stop complaining about guys.

• Yeah its a turns off.

• Yes, it is a turnoff. She sounds hard and cold. Not feminine and warm.

• I wonder how you would feel if a guy said "I don't need a woman". first off why do you feel the need to say it secondly it seems like you would leave a relationship quickly, because you don't need it. It is a signal that here is a problem ahead, i would be like 'okay... I'm outta here '.

• I understand. It's disrespectful and rude.

• Sounds like a bitch

What Girls Said 2

• It can go both ways. A girl who says it is probably someone who needs one but doesn't want to show the guy that they do. Insecurity is loud while confident is silent. But a woman who shows a guy that she doesn't need him by her actions can get her statement across in a right way. Cause at the end of the day we all know a man needs a woman and a woman needs a man.. that is how the world evolves

• When a girl said that, I would think deep down she does need one