What's a better way to start a romantic relationship, meeting someone online or meeting someone in person / in real life?

We're having a #GAGExpertChat tonight about meeting people.

To start it off, please leave a comment or your opinion, or another question on:

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel that both are great. People should go out and be open in meeting people in person. But meeting people online is a great addition to meeting new people. It's a great way of meeting great people that you would have never had the opportunity to meet in person. Online increases your chance of finding someone special. However, people shouldn't online date strictly. I feel that if you find someone you have a connection with online you should meet up in person as soon as you can. I met my man on okcupid and we instantly had a connection and we met up in person 24hours later! We would have never met otherwise if it wasn't for online site. He is the one, so I am thankful for online dating.

What Girls Said 13

• I think a great way to meet people is in a group. Going out with a bunch of friends, even if it's a set up situation, makes it much less uncomfortable and less awkward to meet someone. You can observe how they interact with others, and there is less pressure to talk with them the entire time as there are other people around to chat with as well. Get your friends together, have them invite their friends along, and have fun meeting new people, and hanging with your pals. Win-win!

• I met my fiance many years ago in person, randomly but we didn't officially become a couple until just over 3 years ago (kind of a long story). The Internet, mainly Facebook, did help us build a friendship though. That being said, I don't think that one way is better than the other. We live in an age now where people can have success with dating both online AND in person, compared to 15 or even 10 years ago where there was really no such thing as dating sites. I imagine people did meet online through other means like forums and chat rooms back then, but it was still quite different.

I do think that meeting in person always has a slight advantage, though, and it is that you're usually living in the same area as the other person. It's almost guaranteed. With online dating, it's more likely that you may meet somebody who lives in another part of the country or even in a completely different country than your own, and that can make things hard.

• For Me, It's better to start a romantic relationship online, since I'm super shy
    and it's just easier to meet people online

• That makes total sense. It's easier to approach people with online dating, especially if you're shy. And you know that they want to date if they're on a dating site. You always run the risk in person of asking someone out and then finding out they are not available.

• For me, online dating is a bit easier, because I have a lot of social anxiety when first meeting people, so it's easier for me to get someone's interest online, where I'm not as reserved. However, my experiences with online dating has not been too good. A lot of the guys in my experiences just wanted to fool around online and not meet in person ever. A lot have been emotionally draining and the one I did actually meet in person cheated on me with his little sister, so... bad experiences. But I still don't think online dating is a bad idea. I just have not had any luck with it, but I haven't really had luck in person either. For now, I've just decided to stop dating all together for awhile until I get my confidence back, or until I meet someone really worth trying it out again.

• I agree online dating at times, can be emotionally draining.
      My problem isn't with meeting people, A lot of guys that I've meet
      online just want to hookup, but I've meet some good guys online too

I don't think you should give up, the right people is out there for you

• Well I don't believe in online dating. NO OFFENCE!! I just feel like you need to actually meet the person instead of a screen :x Don't lynch me!!

So what are the positive arguments over online dating oh wise expert?

Real life bro. All the way.

Oh and I meet people at school. My ex for example and I are close because we became close before dating. Not just "Oh you are cute! Lets date online!"

It really bugs me when people say "I am dating __ but I never met him!"

Sorry :x

• I'm not suggesting ever that people date someone only over the internet. I advocate using online dating to meet people because it's somewhat easy, convenient, and makes it possible to meet people who you would have never meet otherwise. I've gone out with great girls who I would have never otherwise met because they don't go to the same places I go, or they live in a different neighborhood or town or whatever.

Meeting someone in person is a lot easier in high school and college. After school, you can be pretty isolated and it can be difficult to meet many people.

• @misupanda Damn it stop converting me with your hearts of love.

• <3 <3 <3 <3 So much online love... <3 <3 <3 <3... you cannot resist all the online love.. <3 <3 <3 <3

• Prefer to meet a person in real life too

• Real life, but nowdays it doesn't seem idealistic for others and that's the hard part, some are uncomfortable with being on the phone, meeting up for coffee, everything is via texts..

• I much prefer to meet someone in person, but that's just me

• Where in person do you like to meet people? Like, how do you find them?

• maybe it's a person you go to school with or a person you work with, or someone your friend introduces you to, or you meet them at a party, or any other social event. There are many ways to meet people. how do you think people dated before the internet? lol

• For me is doesn't matter where the relationship start. You as a person should know what is compatible to you and what you like. Once you know these thing it just doesn't seem important where it happens. Love is strange and happen when you lest expect it.

• I believe in person. Seems sometimes you don't notice someone there and one day you do. When you learn more about them. Online the first thing you see is how they look, but sometimes the ones you would think are ok looking turn to be the ones that know how to treat you right.

• Online dating, never done it. My former job didn't and doesn't allow me to.

• I have never met anyone online. How is it meeting for the first time?

• In my experience, it's usually fine. It can be a little awkward, since you've talked but only via chat or text or messages. Sometimes you know right away you're into the person, and sometimes you know right away that you want to get the hell out of there.

Anyone else have comments about what it's like meet for the first time in person when you've met someone online originally?

• I talked to the guy for like...6-7 months before meeting in real life, so we both felt like we practically knew each other already. Surprisingly, it wasn't that awkward for me. The only awkward thing about it is that there were a few things that surprised me, because they were things about his appearance that I couldn't recognize on webcam. On computer, things were fine, but when we met in person, physically he made me feel very awkward. There just wasn't something right about it. He was way too pushy. So I would advise being careful when it comes to meeting someone you meet online. Of course, a lot of guys online aren't pushy and they're nice. But they're not always how they present themselves is what I'm trying to say.

• Online dating sounds fake by the way :/

• How does it sound fake? Like when you talk to someone on an online dating site, they are probably misrepresenting themselves? That is definitely a common concern with it.

What Guys Said 11

• I think that as we continue to study psychology and sociology in the future, we'll find that the BEST way to meet people in general is through some sort of online connection (forum, game, other place of interest) which is then followed up by a somewhat VERIFIED form of communication: talking on the phone, Skype, meeting in person in a public area, etc.

This way, you are hopefully forming loving (platonic or romantic) and trusting relationships with people of similar interests who are also interested in helping/tolerating, which I would hope would build up your confidence in humanity enough to eventually be the best person you could be and do a lot of good/ultimately tolerate the lifestyles of those who differ from you (but do not harm you in any way).

Obviously it will always be iffy to meet people on the Internet. But it's always been iffy to meet people in real life as well. Never know who's a crazy and who's just dazy.

• Exactly. I have met very sane women online and women who turned out to be not stable in person. You never know who someone really is at first. Luckily, most people are who they say they are.

I always like trying to meet in person fairly quickly after connecting online.

• I can say that there are definitely a couple people in GaG that I am interested in talking to in person/outside of GaG. But in due time.

The Internet in general is quite the fascinating and useful tool if you know how to use it correctly.

People really could learn to use their cellphones the same way. Do we need to be texting all the time? Probably not. But the text message is a far flung and wild advance in relationships to be able to say "Hey, I'm running 30 minutes late" instead of potentially standing someone up.

All in all, we are at a wonderful time for communication technology if we know how to use it properly. Speaking across oceans instantaneously still blows my mind. And yet we have cyber bullying, hacking groups (some good, some bad), all sorts of explicit content. All the craziness of the world, humming through fiber optic cables.

Technology can't change human nature, but can assist it toward it's highest aspirations.

• Definitely in person. People tout online dating as "the new thing", but I don't see it replacing face-to-face interaction. Even currently, it's not as big as people claim. At least not successful relationships. You might meet and talk to a lot of people online, but the "quality control", so to speak, isn't there like it is in person.

• I think it's hard either way. In real life is nice because you can right away tell if there is that physical chemistry, which can be impossible to predict from just talking online.

• Of course it's not easy to meet people, especially with so many other factors at play. But I don't think that means the option that *seems* like the easy way over these hurdles is actually the best or easiest way.

• From a numbers perspective, I would say in person is better. At your average club, a good looking woman will have maybe two dozen guys hitting on her. Online, that same girl would have several hundred men hitting on her.

• Very true. But it's far easier to ignore the online "hits" than in real life (where you physically have to go away from someone). But I agree with yadda, in person still seems better to me. So many different factors at play.

• It gets so tiring lol!

• In Person BY FAR. With online dating, you loose the human element. People date by pure numbers, your picture may not make you look the best, but the person viewing your photo won't know unless they saw you in real life. You might have some "flaw" maybe your not 6ft+, but your a really good, guy, look good, in shape, smart, but the girls will never know because they filtered anything under 6ft+ out of their search queue. Online dating is usually for those who don't have the social talents to date in real life. So they need something to to be laid out on a platter. The only benefactors to online dating are average looking (but not bad) and attractive women who are too insecure to date in real life. These women get hoards of messages, and all they have to do is sit on their ass and click through. Online dating is a womans game. Not a mans game. Men need to be out in the field, not blowing up some chicks inbox who is 40 miles away making you #67 for the week of guys that have messaged her.

So to sum things up, online dating is a womans game. Online dating is usually for those who lack social acumen. I'd urge guys not to do online dating unless your stupidly good looking or have a profile picture of yourself in front of you big house next to your brand new corvette.

• I have usually stayed away from online dating because I thought that if it were really meant to be then the universe would pull us together somehow. I, though, have recently tried Tinder and I met a girl for a dinner. It was fine and we ended up having many things in common, but I feel like it's a lot different from meeting someone in person for the first time and emotionally feeling them out through conversational discourse. Do you think online dating can replace real first impression encounters? What are you experiences?

• Real life because it's more natural and when you talk about where you met the person, you can say it was real life. I feel like finding someone online is a little awkward. Also, I hate meeting people online because it's a little nerve racking and again awkward when you meet up with them in real life

• I kind of want to try online dating I am pretty shy about meeting people. I kind of would be ashamed if I had to try online dating though.

• I've found online works well because you know they're on that site because they're looking for dates - in real life you can never be sure if someone is single, looking, attached, or what.

• Haha. Real life. No contest.

I can understand the draw of online dating for some people. But I think they would do better to overcome their personal issues and then start meeting people in real life.

• Now day I believe meeting people is important because they will help you at some place of time and important for growth thats the only thought people have now a day, they give prefreances to their attitude more then building relationship whith leading us to unhappy and lonely life to spend.

• suggest some good dating site for Indian people..