Have you ever dated a best friend? Was it worth risking the friendship?

I met one of my best friends about a year ago. Surprisingly, in the beginning, I friend zoned her since she's not my type. To this day, it seems like she's still interested, but we have become really good friends over the course of the year.

Lately, I've been kind of liking her. And now im scared that I'm actually having feelings for her. But I'm even more terrified that our friendship will crumble if I take the chance. What horrifies me the most though... Is that 5 years from now, she'll be married and I realized I lost my opportunity to even give us a try.

Which leaves me wondering... Have any of you guys dated a best friend? If so did it destroy the friendship if there was a break up? Or did it end up being the best decision you've ever taken? I would love to see the stories about dating a best friend from the people of GAG. Thank you.

Most Helpful Girl

• I always end up dating my best friends. So far it hasn't worked out but I am still friends with all but two of my exes. The way to go is when you start dating promise each other that as soon as you feel it isn't going to work you will end it. That way there is less of a chance of feelings getting hurt. The only way it tends not to work is if you break up and one of both of you is a vengeful person. After a break up you tend to needs some space so promise each other you will take to months or so to become emotional stable after a breakup before trying to be friends again. If you don't do this one of two things will happen you will hang out and get back together or you will hang out and start yelling at each other and hurt each other more.

Those are my warnings. However, I have dated a lot of best friends and those relationships were and are the most special to me. If you don't want to see her marrying someone else than you need to go for it cause that really shows that you aren't just lonely and wanting someone for the moment but you really do care about her. Good luck :-)

What Girls Said 2

• I am in a relationship with my best friend. We've been together for 2 years and a couple of months.
    I don't think I could ever date anyone who's not my friend. I prefer knowing the other person before dating them. It makes me feel more secure and there are not unpleasant "surprises".

• i know one of my mates was considering it but he decided not to for the same fear u have.

look, only u can answer this. if u c a future in it and if u dont feel it'd get awkward then go for it.
    BUT if u feel that if it wasn't to work out, u couldnt talk again. dont take that risk.

What Guys Said 2

• I've done that twice first one ended on good terms second one fell in love with each other and it later ended with her leaving for college. And to make it better they were sisters lol.

• I have let some of my girl friends blow me and a few times I would eat them out but no relationships.