Should men always Cover the Bill?

Should a man always cover the bill when out with a women? Women these days can make as much as men and even more

Lets say two situations

-First date, or beginning dates before your bf gf
-And if your dating for a while

• Always Pay
  • Sometimes Pay

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's fair for a woman to expect the guy she's with to pay for everything. On a first date I think that whoever initiated the date should pay and if they continue dating after that they should figure out a way to split financial responsibility in a way that works for them both be it each paying their own way, splitting the bill (50/50, 70/30, whoever buys the meal the other provides the tip), or simply saying whoever proposes the date has to pay for it. Personally if the guy I'm with wants to pay that's fine by me, but I would never just expect him to do so and (unless it was an expensive date that he proposed) I would always offer to pay at least part of the bill.

What Girls Said 19

• no i dont c y they should.
    i wouldn't mind doing it a few times myself, or even splitting it with him.

i guess in the VERY early stages, it would be nice for a guy to cover the bill, but once we settle down then i think both should do it at different points.

• At first dates i would prefer men paying. I always offer but to be honest i never came accross one accepted this offer. If there are more dates, i ask for turn, i pay too. When it comes to relationship, people should go for whatever makes them comfortable in my opinion.

• Now I will accept that you will give me a totally and completely honest answer, findingdreamland, because that is all I ask. Please be completely honest and to show you there will be no judgment, I'll only answer "thanks" however you answer the following question. Again, I would appreciate your total honesty. Suppose you offer to pay on the first date and the guy says, "Oh, great! Thanks. Go ahead!" Does this in any way affect your opinion of him and if so, how?

• It would make me giggle but anyway I would pay. It would not be a big deal, my honest answer :) @Bluemax

• Thank you.

• I think it should be left up to the couple. Some men like paying all the time. Some women would be insulted if they were asked to pay. Some men want a woman who offers to pay. Some women are totally fine with that, and actually prefer it. So it really shouldn't be left up to a set of "rules." It should be left up to the individuals.

• My friends husband insists on paying, even if she's actually paying he'll take her card or wallet and go pay.

• Husbands and wives dont count, at that point whats her is his and whats his is hers

• Yeah my boyfriend always insist on me paying. He like never lets me pay and I feel bad sometimes.

• No. I think that people should take turns paying. When I was single and dating, I always offered to pay on first dates. Nobody ever said yes. My significant other and I take turns, but usually I pay because I make more money.

• "... but usually I pay because I make more money."
      Egads! Where were you when I was eighteen to twenty four? (I suppose the answer to that question depends on what religion one observes)

Nice to see you again, bubbiexo.

• @Bluemax
      Ah, yes. My soul was probably floating around somewhere. Most likely in a cat. Nice to see you, too:)

• I do tend to think it's nice if a dude pays for a FIRST date, but I have always offered to pay my share anyway and no one has ever accepted. After that, people should take turns.

• Please take a look at my response to findingdreamland. I pose the same question and the same promise to you.

• I remember once after me and my gf broke up, I wanted to simply go on dates just to get out and mingle. So there was a week or two where I had about 5 dates lined up. Sounded great at first except by the second date I was already $200 down the hole.

The 4th one I told my date at the dinner table that I rather we split the bill and wasn't comfortable paying for a stranger, but if we're together whats mines if yours :) I mean I really did feel that way after my first couple of dates.

Guess what lol, She turned it into something. She was pouty all of a sudden, I told her after she ordered so now she felt like she had to pay a portion of something that was expensive in her mind. And to top it off, she came with no cash only a credit card :s

To end this story, I just payed :( because well she just had a credit card... I asked her to pay me back out of principal (we did go on other dates and I did pay for those) she did pay me back but never spoke to me again after that.

• I don't think so, I think it should be 50/50

• Sounds like a new world wide plan to me I am in

• Sure, but how can you even approach that... what if her wallet just doesn't come out lol... do you say something?

• It depends on the woman but I refuse to let a guy pay for my meal. Lol. However they aren't all like me... if u have someone who doesn't offer u prob should just pay and then decide whether u want to see her again

• No he shouldnt, id pay my share, he could pay his, but if he insisted on paying i would pay the next time , we went , i would never let anyone take advantage of me and i certainly wouldn't take advantage of a guys kindness , so it should always be 50/50

• If women want equality then they shouldn't ask for the same pay as men, but expect guys to pay all the time. Plus I'd feel bad making someone pay all the time

• It should be equal, we each pay for our own meals and such. If it's a special occasion like his birthday I would pay it all.

• Both parties should take turns paying. Or split the bill but I think its nice when one pays for the other and next time the other pays.

I know tons of guys don't let girls pay though.

• And I know a few girls who get pissed when they pay. I don't know who is to blame: the guys who won't let you pay, or the girls who get pissed when guys pay.

• @Bluemax Some women offer to pay, but refuse a second date if you don't overrule them.

• Yes thats a good point, its a little tricky because not everyone will voice their opinion or want to have an awkward moment.

They might pay, but then go home and feel they were gypped or something/feel disrespected possibly.

• I think the first date you should, but only if you initiated the date. If you asked her to dinner or whatever and it was the first time you guys have done this then I think you should pay. But after that it can be split or you can alternate who pays.

• It should be equal :)

• Short answer No why should they?

• I think the first date yes and I think if y'all are dating it would be nice to every I one in a while 😊

• First few dates, yeah. Second few, Dutch, and sometimes the girl should pay.

• personally, I have to be comfortable with someone before letting them spend money on me. male or female. in a relationship I usually take turns or spit.

• Just on a first date

• I think if the girl asks the guy out she should pay but if the guy asks the girl out he should pay

• However, what if she conveniently asks a man out on cheaper dates... on purpose... but its not something you can actually mention because its in a persons mind, she'll just deny it.

• Your right well I think they should take turns paying

• i wanna pay but he keeps wanting to pay for everything, i saved up a small fortune over time just because he won't let me pay ~_~

(hes not financially stable so i want him to take it easy, i'm not even materialistic but he keeps buying/paying for stuff, so i made it so that we don't date much anymore but just casually hang out more, but he always finds something.. its really kind of him but he's making me worry)

• plus it makes me feel really guilty ~_~

• haha in that case its ok for sure

But maybe try and return him the favour in others way. Like a really really nice gifts ;)

• I like your attitude. The fact you are anonymous makes me think you actually mean it. Unfortunately a woman offering to pay can sometimes be disingenuous. This has lead to the over reaction in some men that all women don't really mean it when they offer to pay. I have been told by several different guys never let a woman pay even if they offer, just because she doesn't really mean it. I have even been told this by several women, or heard women complain about a man she went on a date with that let her pay after she offered.

What Guys Said 13

• I don't think so. And I think guys need to get out of that habit so that girls who "expect" it will just be stuck there looking like idiots instead of getting men clamoring for their wallets.

But I don't think it should necessarily be 50/50, either.

I would say going dutch. That is, you don't split the bill, you simply pay for what you ordered like in any and every other social interaction. If one of you wants to pay for the other, that's great. It's a nice treat. But that's what it is, a "treat", not a "man's duty".

If a girl ever tells you "it's a man's duty to feed me. Nature says so", remind her that for nearly all of human history, women provided most of the food by gathering. The food that men provided was meat (though some gathered as well), but that certainly wasn't most of our food. If you want more examples look to lions. Lionesses are the kick-ass hunters of the family, so you can ask her why she doesn't want to be kick-ass like a lioness. Or you can bring up Bonobos, who have sex when they eat.

Oh, and here's a tip for the girls: When a girl isn't expecting to be princessed and fed, that's when guys feel most refreshed and are more likely to be like "You know, you're pretty awesome. This one's on me."

But if a girl was to just HAND ME THE BILL like my first girlfriend did ("Um yeah, you're paying for this"), I'm more likely to give her the whole tab just to shove it in her entitled face.

• Well if she sleeps with you then absolutely. If you have had a platonic relationship for more then 3 months id start making her pay too cuz that is bullshit. I'm not a free meal ticket for you. I mean unless she was just a damn good friend of mine and in which case she should care enough about me to help out half the time. I mean if it's a expensive place and I invited her it's my responsibility to pay but if we are going to Taco Bell and I've been "dating" her for 3 months with no sex she's buying her own fucking cheeseburger haha.

• hahahah! funny shit...

BUT what if her wallet just doest come out and your ordering since your the guy... are you really going to say hey not going to order for you both or order for two but tell her she owes you 10 bucks?

• Right I totally agree. Everything should be mutual, for instance when a married man pays for dinner he is just holding up his end of the deal beacause she raises his children. And if they don't have children she probably should have a job or she's basically a concubine.

• so in other words it's legal prostitution

• guy should pay their own and only their own. girls must do the same as well. fair and square. ;-)

the guy isn't an idiot to pay for both you know

• OK, I have personally known many women who have confessed they make the offer to pay a sort of test. Yes, these women offer to pay for the date. However, when the guy accepts the offer, they then decide there will be no second date. A friend of mine confesses she gets PISSED when she pays for a date, be it first or second or any other date thereafter, until she got married. Only at that point did she offer to pay without getting pissed.

• Usually I would pay on the FIRST DATE because it shows courtesy.
    But maybe after third to fourth date. I would tease her something like 'oh, i have not enough $ gold to pay'... see how's her reactions.
    IF she declined to pay, I WOULD NOT DATE HER NEXT TIME 100%

• The first date, sure.

But as soon as we're a close couple, where we live together and such. Splitting the bill is a good idea.

• NEVER PAY! ALWAYS PRAY!

... That it's "Everyone Eats For Free Night" at the restaurant.

• If you are asking about "Men".. then Yes you should pay the bill that simply
    and.. if you can make it sometime during the meal where your girl doesn't feel it, that will be even nicer!

• If she doesn't have the money, then I don't care to cover everything. That is just one of the things we have to accept if we want to date someone that doesn't have any money. I don't mind covering the bill, but if she claims she wants to help then I will let her. If she has a problem with that, then she shouldn't have offered. I hate mind games, and would rather weed out the dishonest women right there, than keep them around by playing it safe and paying regardless of her offer.

If she has the money and never offers then she would eventually come across as selfish. In this day and age expecting the man to pay just because he is a man is a sure way to sort out entitled princesses. I don't keep count of who paid last time or how much it was. I am looking for a life partner. If the imbalance of who is paying is so great that it upsets me, then I shouldn't be going out with her anymore.

• If you aren't a couple, who asked for the date can pay. If you are a couple, split it or alternate picking up the bill.

That way, you can move on to more important issues to think about instead of some outdated idea that people don't even know why they keep alive.

• I don't think so but I am a provider by nature and happen to pay for everything.

• She offers, he pays. That's the way it's supposed to be. If she can't at least show she's willing to and or CAN, then she's not worth it. It's wrong of her to expect the man to

• First date yes after that split it.