Are ladies generally desperate to bag a boyfriend for Christmas?

Because they don't want to be alone on Christmas n' all. See I recently taken a shine to this waitress, but then it just now occurred to me that she might be looking for someone right now because she doesn't want to be alone at Christmas.

Now if this is the case, which it appears very likely it is (I'm gettin' a 'looking for a boyfriend' vibe from her), then there are some things I need to consider:-
- I shouldn't take it too slow right? I can't spend now until early next year slowly building up a more substantial relationship with her. I kind of have a deadline of early to mid December perhaps?
- Secondly, timing may well be key. As in, I might want to put in the work between now and early or mid December, and then at that time ask her on a date. How do I know whether to go for early December or mid December? Again I could easily end up too late; someone else beat me to it.

Is this a misconception though? .. I dunno' it's probably a relatively common feeling right? The "gotta' hook up in time for Christmas" feeling I'm saying.

Most Helpful Guy

• On the contrary, I think assuring her that you guys are in no rush is the only way to go.

Personally, I have to deal with a work-related holiday party every year, which I have come to simply call "singles awareness night", and in the past I've made the mistake of buying two tickets two months in advance despite being single. I did this with the hope that I might be able to progress far enough with a romantic interest to take her by the time the party rolled around, but planning relationships around timelines never seems to work. Things will always end up developing at their own rate.

The furthest ahead you should be thinking with this girl is whether or not you want to get her a charming little Christmas present, which is a flexible goal because you can choose to make it more or less elaborate depending on how things progress.

• Hmmm.. Christmas present. Now that's a little extra motivation to kick it up a notch and try and get on a regular chattin' basis with her.. not that I didn't have enough all ready. Because, I need to have some kind of established relationship with her in order to get her a gift without it being weird or whatever. Nothing too special though right? Just like something little and relevant. Well she's from another country, so I could see if I can get her something relevant to her homeland. I'm actually terrible with gifts. Find myself proverbially "stumped". Thanks for the tip though.

• Keep talking to her and see if you can learn anything else. The best gifts are ones that seem personally selected based on the person's interests/qualities, or something based on an inside joke. Even something as simple as finding out her favorite color would be nice.

Is she from a country warmer than where you are now? If so, she probably doesn't have enough winter apparel, so you could get her scarf of her favorite color and tell her it's to keep her warm in her new environment. =)

What Girls Said 11

• Yep. Gotta see how many presents we can squeeze outta them. Then after the new year, we dump their asses. Cause you know, we were just looking to "bag" a boyfriend for the holidays

• Gotta dump them in time to get another one, before New Year's Eve.

• Okay so you find my casual way of speaking offensive then? Sorry. It's just the way I speak. "Cool beans/I can dig it/I don't play like that".. doesn't mean I'm a bad person.. I'm actually kinda' one of those idiots with a heart of gold. As in, I'm relatively immature, fun loving, live for the moment, self aware enough that I can acknowledge I'm somewhat an idiot, but I can't stand the notion of bad intentions. Unless you weren't being sarcastic.. I hope you were though. Seriously though, sorry I used the term "bag a boyfriend". Hey I was looking to make a catchy title to get people here and talkin'. I'm desperate for helpful advice here.

• I don't understand what you mean by saying "quantity not quality" however. I don't got that. I would like to understand, if you don't mind elaborating.

• Yes. The original lyrics for "all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth" were "all I want for Christmas is to bag a boyfriend because I'm just a dumb girl"

Seriously.

• ^this is funny haha

• Did I offend you too? Is that offensive? Where did I say anything about being dumb? Why would a womans' desire to not be alone during the annual winter festival mean that she might be perceived as unintelligent? I feel like some of the answerers here are putting words in my mouth so to speak, because apparently I was out of line? I honestly.. am clueless as to the reason for the perceived tone of your answer. Well, I apologise if I offended you. I bet you think I'm chauvinistic don't you? That would be unfortunate.

• Lol, I don't know. I reckon some women do because right after Christmas is New Years and no women would want to start a new year alone. (Ok some women). But if you wanted to pursue this waitress of yours you better start now then later if you want to make it before or by Christmas.

• Well I all ready did start. We chatted n' had a laugh a little, but at this point unfortunately the key factor is luck, for the next couple weeks at least. The reason I say that is because I can only go there every weekend (so once a week.. maybe two days on a weekend), and very rarely during the week, and I just have to hope she is working there when I go - luck. Maybe I should ask her what days she works there? Would that be too stalkerish? And too much of a reveal? Probably. I mean, I get the feeling she's weekend staff.. so that's something.

• I sound like I know what I'm doing? Wow. That's reassuring (not sarcasm. Serious). On account of I'm not used to.. being perceived that way. I have come on in leaps and bounds in terms of socialising in the last year and half though. Thanks again for your help.

• Haha lol don't sweat it

• I'm fine without a boyfriend for Christmas. I mean, it would be nice to actually have a boyfriend during that time, but I'd like to have one year-round too…

• not for me, bf is not a Christmas exchange gift
    I have my friends and family, which is good enough :)

• I have never been looking for a guy just because Christmas was approaching, nor did i know that was a thing.

but yes i guess in the winter its nice to be with someone, but thats it.

• Psh, no way. If I have a boyfriend during Christmas then I'll have to spend my money on a nice gift instead of booze and eggnog.

• LMFAO, no... at least I'm not but I have seen some guys make statuses about needing a date for Thanksgiving and holidays like that.

• I've never had a boyfriend so being alone on Christmas doesn't change anything

• I don't know where you're getting that concept. :/

• I'm getting it from the multitude of people, of both genders, that I know have experienced this feeling, including myself. I have found it prevalent.

• No why lol

What Guys Said 3

• "Gotta hook up in time for Christmas?" Whattt?

Sorry dude, that is NOT a thing. Girls don't think like this

• Are you attempting to mock me? You realise I want to be wrong and I want you to be right. No group of people can be summed up as one entity in such a sweeping statement however. So you are both right and wrong - some do, some don't. I'm interested in getting some insight into the most common way of thinking though. Demographic ought to be taken into consideration however. I have found in my experience that women of the cougar variety really do often tend to desire to not be alone at Christmas, but then maybe it is different for women of my young adult age, and then there's the part of the world they live in to take into consideration, and the cultural background. It is actually a subject so complex that in my opinion it warrants a more divisive response than "Girls don't think like this". Also bare in mind that I am asking about ladies or women. Not girls.

• Dude relax, I'm not attacking you

• Why are you telling me to relax? I'm merely challenging your, in my opinion lazily put forth argument, and the unpleasant tone that it comes with. And the flawed premise of a non-existent idea. I am however relaxed. I happen to be a person who challenges that which I disagree with; I believe it is possible to do so while retaining a calm demeanour.

• What a coincidence. I'm looking to dump my girlfriend just before Christmas, so there will be one more on the market.

• Generally, I'd say the girls in my area seem just fine without dating; At least it seems as if when they're looking at the aspect of dating me (or someone similar to me), they'd rather be single.

I've only seen this "desperation" when it comes to other guys.

Now, as for you... waitresses work for tips, and most tend to be pretty outgoing; if they're at the bar, they're usually cute (Guys buy the drinks partly to talk to the babe), and great at flirting because it gets them better tips.

If they're cute, flirty, and know how to mix drinks or are good at drinking, then the chances of them having a boyfriend is pretty high. I'm told waitresses are among the toughest to successfully date because they get hit on a lot, and they're usually in relationships (and you're asking them out while they're working)

But... if she's single, it might not be impossible.

As for how... I have no idea. I don't date much.

• I read an article written by a barmaid recently.. she is actually a barmaid primarily this lass. Waitress is the wrong term. Anyway I read an article by a barmaid recently that said that many barmaids tend to be single.. can't remember what the explanation was. Something to do with they are at work a lot being flirted with by drunk oafs (not me).. anyway bare in mind this was in the experience of a woman who worked that job for years. Thanks for you input nonetheless.