Is there something wrong with my attraction to guys of a different ethnicity/race?

I'm attracted to guys of other races rather then my own. I find guys of my race attractive, but I'm not head over heels for them. I've dated guys from my own race before, it's not something that I'm physically attracted to. Because, I've been told by my friends that I was being racist against my own race because of this. How is that possible? Does this physical unattraction make me racist?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• If you were only attracted to your race they wouldn't be calling you a racist, so I think your friends are being a little unfair.

Having preferences on physical attraction is inevitable. People don't accuse anyone for being prejudiced if they have preferred physical features within a race, so having a fancy for a certain skin color, accent, or other facial/body features that happen to be more common in one race than another doesn't seem any less appropriate.

If you're open to people of your own race, you might even find your "type" fluctuating back to them if you meet the right guy. When our physical preferences are adapting to our benefit, once we've met a great person, our preferences adapt until we're only attracted to people who look remarkably similar to the target of our affection. When working properly like this, its sort of a defense mechanism / incentive to make cheating less likely. If your attraction preferences are adaptable like this, you start off begin feeling attracted to whatever "type" seems natural, but in the end you'll be attracted to whatever guy treats you the best.

What Guys Said 2

• That's hard to answer. Race has a lot to do with appearance, and so does attraction. And attraction is tied into all sorts of conceptions about masculinity and body type that could cross over from race to racism. You're probably fine unless you think it's having a negative affect on your friendships with people of your own race.

• As long as you aren't bashing guys of your own race and doing that thing where "I like them because they're more masculine or caring or whatever," I don't think it's racist. Once you go down that road, I think it would be.

What Girls Said 4

• I... I don't see why anything would be wrong with liking others outside of your ethnicity as well... Does not make you racist because you are not head over heels of your own ethnicity , either :)

• Of course not!!!

• Also, physical attraction has nothing to do with racism! Racism means you think that a specific race is lesser than some other (like your own). Of course it is possible to be a racist anyway, but they're not necessarily connected.

• "I find guys of my race attractive, but I'm not head over heels for them." Not at all. It's good that you appreciate other races.

• Well if you don't date any guys in your own race because you stereotype them and think they're all the same yes, that's very, very racist.

• I date them, but not as much as I date guys of other races. I don't stereotype, I think it's mean to do that especially when you don't know a someone's personality.

• then that's not racist.

It's only racist if you know.. you're automatically judging people for being whatever race they are.

If you just have a preference for another race that's fine.