Whats the difference to being exclusive and not in a relationship?

The guy I've been seeing for a year and a half wants to be exclusive but doesn't want to be in a relationship. What is the difference? It kinda seems like the same thing to me so I'm not worried about it. I'm just curious what the difference is.

We said we aren't allow to sleep with other people and he's been telling me he loves me for a year now.

Most Helpful Guy

• He means no having sex with other people (neither you or him )... just the two of u have sex with each other!

What Guys Said 1

• he's not obligated to do anything for you just gets sex. exclusivity also means no stds

• so just means we aren't hooking up with other people but he doesn't have to do boyfriend things right? lol

• using me for sex lol.

• yes, its not a good sign he wants to hide you.

What Girls Said 3

• I've never heard of that before. Exclusive sounds like he wants to be more open with people about your relationship, but still have the ability to do what he wants, especially if he's been friends with benefits with you this whole time.

• we aren't sleeping with other people...

• I don't mean sleeping with other people per se, it applies to just having the freedom to talk to other people in general. It's not my intention to make implications, but nothing else makes sense. Like Ashley said, maybe he just fears commitment. Who knows...

• no worries

• It sounds like he wants some commitment but not so much that he can't hook up from time to time. Maybe it's a step towards a relationship but he doesn't want to be in one just yet, maybe he fears commitment.

• It means he wants monogamy but no emotional shit is my best guess.