Why are Americans sticklers about age differences?

For example, a 16 year old dating a 20 yr old. Instead of looking at the two individuals, Americans look at the age and automatically say no.

But other countries look at Americans like they are ridiculous and insane for being such sticklers on age difference.

Most Helpful Girl

• Psychologically a 16 year old is going through adolescent turmoil. They haven't even finished developing cognitively. So I feel like it's more of protecting our youth. So I guess, not in every case, a adolescent can be easily taken advantage of. Obviously this is just a precaution. Too many sickos out there ruin it for normal decent people. I dated a guy that was 19 when I was 16.

• But not all guys are predator sickos

• Yeah, go for it

• So you would not let your 16 or 17 yr old daughter date?

What Girls Said 6

• It's just how the culture is here. 16 is the legal age of consent here in Canada, but it's weird to us when a 20 year old is dating them. Mostly because they're at completely different stages of life, and also different maturity levels.

• I am 20 and people in my class call me a kid still. Of course my class has mostly seniors in college or above.

• That is because u r a woman and females go for older guys, it is natural

• I go for guys my age but yeah guys tend to be older than their wives/girlfriends simply because younger women are more fertile, and older guys tend to have status of some sort, or at least an established career.

• Sorry for protecting kids from predators 😂

• That's not true. I know lots of European and asain families that take age differences even more seriously than Americans.

• I dated someone who was 21 when I was 16 im American

• Did he (or you) get hounded for that?

• I have a son... But no I wouldn't as long as he respected her any younger than that I would have a problem

• That is a good way of looking at it. Thanks :)

• I belive age is just a number. I wish it was legal for me to date older guys. :(

• Oops didn't mean to put the? Mark. Lol

• Older guys are creeps. All of us lol

• It's culture. In a culture where pedophiles are seen as common, and where rapes are everywhere and where domestic violence is high, it's no wonder parents are cautious who they let their impressionable child hang out with.

• It is unfortunate our society is like that, but it is no excuse for drawing conclusions about a guy based solely on his age.

• We're a society of conclusions. We conclude a woman is a whore because of how she dresses; we assume a man is a pedophile because he wants to be a kindergarten teacher; We conclude that a girl is at fault and was asking for it if she's raped; we conclude that all men only want sex. Are any of these ever correct? Sure. Are they always? No. But that's our society for ya.

What Guys Said 4

• That's fine what other countries think. However, the line of thinking is this: We want to prevent sexual exploitation of minors. It's generally thought that in order to do this we should set an age where someone under 18 can consent to having sex with an adult.

• It is legal in most states for a 20 yr old to be with a 16 yr old, but despite being legal, cultural norms still frown against it.

• Well yes, because a 16 year old is still in High Scool, the time between 18-22 is a huge transition for most people from childhood to adulthood.

• its how the culture is, and the water you drink

• It is cultural

• I think 16 is just an age when a female is still a bit young. I would think just a short 2 or 3 more years in a female makes a lot of difference.