Boyfriend stormed out on me after I told him I didn't like the video game he wanted me to play with him?

My boyfriend bought a co-op game for the PS3 for us to play together the other day, and he's been wanting me to play it with him for the past few days, but I've been really busy with college assignments. I've been stressing out since I've managed to keep a 4.0 GPA for the past 2 years but I'm just BARELY passing one class and I don't know how I'll get through it without failing and losing my scholarship. Well I finished everything earlier today and told him that tonight after he gets off from work he should come over and we can try playing it together.

Well we did. And I hated it. I tried my best to make due with the controls (I play a LOT of console games in a variety of genres, but the controls in this game sucked) but it just started irritating me a lot to the point that I was holding him back while we were playing. So I decided to be honest with him; I told him "this isn't really my thing, and I don't understand the controls. Is it okay if we turn co-op mode off?". So he did, and then he proceeded to gather his things, said, "goodnight", and stormed out.

... did I do something wrong here? I mean he knows I've been stressing out about something very important, and it's not like we don't share other interests in gaming and other activities, so why now? I haven't been neglecting him, we spend time together everyday.

Most Helpful Guy

• yeah, he sounds... well... ok

He sounds like a whiny little immature kid. He shouldn't get so angry over something so petty and should be more sympathetic to you.

BUT...

It obviously was something important to him - to share the experience w/ you - so that could be a good sign that at least he's trying to find some common ground or interest or experience for you guys to share. He just can't take it when it's not to your liking, maybe...(?)

• That's what I was thinking-- maybe it was something really important to him. We do share MANY common interests and hobbies, and as far as I know the game he wanted me to play wasn't all too important to him. I did play other games in the series because he suggested them to me, and I enjoyed them, I just didn't like this one. It makes me wonder if it has less to do with the game and more to do with something else. I have no idea though, I just can't help but feel guilty somehow.

• 1. what game was it?

2. seriously, don't feel guilty. He overreacted. You could always talk it out w/ him. Don't end up down the road w/ regret NOT talking to him about it...

What Guys Said 11

• I can see why he's disappointed. He was looking forward to something that y'all could enjoy together and bond over, and those visions he had went up in smoke when you didn't like the game.
    However, you are not obligated to like anything and he handled this disappointment like a complete child.

If this is an isolated incident, leave him be and let him get over it.
    If this happens consistently, sit him down and tell him that this behavior is unacceptable.

• I guess he was disappointed by how what he had in mind as a bonding experience didn't work out the way he expected.

• Very immature and childish of him imagine whene he is confronted with actual adult issues in your relationship he will, tantrums don't have any place in adulthood.

• Facepalm through my skull. Your boyfriend doesn't have the clearest priorities.

• I mean we've been together for 4 years, I think I deserve a little better than him walking out on me every time he gets angry.

• I guess it's alright to walk out and let yourselves cool down a little, but it seems like too often walking out on fights means that you are not discussing or solving problems in the relationship. You bottle it up until you can't take it anymore and lash out. It's a sad thing.

• Seems like your bf 1) Wants to get his way 2) Doesn't like confrontations. I feel like I just described a child.

Now it's possible that this instance is out of character for him but I don't think it is.

• It really isn't out of character; he's been like this since I met him.
      Granted he has gotten significantly better at controlling his anger and communicating since we've been dating, but it seems that whenever there's a critical situation for me (e. g., possibly failing a college course) he reverts back to his old ways.
      Although I still don't know how to handle it, and I'm definitely not equipped to deal with it right now with my academic trouble.

• Seems like he can't handle stress either. The good side about him having a tendency to leave is that it let's you focus on your stuff. If you manage to get it out of your mind that is.

• I'm going to agree with rthomas43 even though I'm not a gamer, because I can understand the attitude across various activities and media.

But I'm curious like the others... what was the game?

• It just sounds like he's pouting.

• I get that feeling as well. But it just doesn't feel fair. He walks out on me whenever he gets mad, but I'd never do that to him since to me these "fights" or lack-of aren't about getting even.

• How old is guy like 12 or something really no guy should treat you like that. That's wrong acting like a little boy that didn't get his way

• You did absolutely nothing wrong. I think he's really childish.

• He's just a immature ass. leave him and let him go pout. He needs to call his mommy

• Don't you think you should have just told him how you were feeling. Number one problem in relationships? Communication.

I'm curious to know the game

What Girls Said 2

• No. It's not like you told him to throw the game in the fireplace, you just said he should play the game alone. Boo fucking hoo.

Your boyfriend threw a hissy fit. He is the one who needs to be sorry.

• Sounds like more than just a sulk. Has he got his own stress going on at the moment? Is this usual for him to behave like this? How old is he?