I asked a guy out to dinner last night, but he thinks I asked him out on a date?

I asked a guy out to dinner last night, well at first it was brunch, but we ended up doing dinner instead. He was making a joke about when I finally do want him as my boyfriend that I should really ask him out again. He said that I asked him out on a date last night, but I just wanted to see him. He's a friend that I like, but don't want to date. Was it a date that we went on? I'm confused as fuck right now... I think we are going out again, but after work tonight. Does this count as dating? O. o

Most Helpful Guy

• You need to clear it up ASAP. Tell him "hey, I had a great time at dinner and want to see you again tonight, but I want you to understand that I don't see you in a romantic way. I get that you might not want to hang out, and I respect that, but I don't want there to be any confusion"

What Guys Said 4

• There's nothing wrong with hanging out with him just as friends but obviously if he thinks it's a date and you don't, then you need to communicate with him and tell him that it's just hanging out.

• alrighty, thanks for the advice =) I'll have to make sure things are clear between us.

• it wasn't a date if it was not officially stated and agreed upon by both parties. but either way, if he got confused, you need to tell him lol.

• If you ask someone of opposite gender out that can be considered a date. Especially if it's a 1 on 1 dinner and you haven't known each other for that long. Can't blame him for seeing this as a date.

• Not until you start kissing

What Girls Said 2

• Yes that's a date. Planning to go out is a date. You can have dates with friends...
    As for the romantic date? Yeah that too, he likes you too and that is why he is joking about it

• This is true... I forgot that you can also make "dates" with friends... He does like me, but I need to get to know him more before I can say yes to romantic dating :) Thanks for the advice

• Well then just keep hanging out with him. Pay for your stuff and let him pay for his.

• date doesn't always mean a date in a romantic way so maybe he is making a joke about it for example i talk with my friends about going in a study date.