Would you date someone you work with?

Does their position (higher, lower or same) make a difference in your answer?

I ask because I have a crush on my manager (close in age) and we go out alone a lot outside work and sometimes with friends but we're very close. He sometimes seems like he may like me or will flirt but hasn't made a move yet. We've been working with each other for almost a year and a half (I've liked him for almost a year). Do you think it's because we work together even though we're friends who text, email, talk on a daily basis? If I didn't work there anymore, would I have a chance?

• No way, I keep work life and personal life separate
  • Only if they have a higher position
  • Yes if they have the same position (or equal to)
  • Yes, regardless of their position because I still like them :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I've dated a few girls from work. It's a tough one because if it doesn't work out you can't be sure what the girl will do, I guess it's the same the other way round too- lots of men are becoming bitches these days. A few years ago there was a girl who was concerned I was too senior in the company, when she found out I wasn't she was quite forthcoming over how she felt.

You spend a lot of time with work people and with women it gives them time to see who you are and get comfortable, if you're a good guy. Sometimes they develop feelings for you.

These days I wouldn't date anyone from work, nothing is going to get in the way of my eventual career! lol

What Guys Said 3

• 1. As a principle I don't ever date or even flirt with any girl who is in my direct line of reporting - higher or lower
    2. More so because I'm on the higher position 99.9% of the time
    3. If a girl who happens to be in a higher position takes interest in me and it's a flirtatious interest or sexual then I need to weight options to quit cause it'll not just compromise my work but also my career
    4. I have had my flings with certain girls but they were from different companies of the group and never in my direct line of reporting even by the remotest angle
    5. Even those girls in point 4 is after they'd quit the organization ;-)
    6. It's seldom a good idea to date or flirt within the place of work - most times one of the things i. e. either work or personal life if not both get screwed up. Ofcourse there are tons of exceptions :-) but the chance is too great where I come from :-)

• The previous place I worked had several couples (married and otherwise) who had met there. When you spend 40+ hours in one place you can get to know people a lot better than someone you see across the bar.

• That is true. And we also hang out alone or with other coworkers outside work so I see my coworkers a lot more than my friends who all temporarily moved out for uni or college.

• bars are a dumb place to meet women

• @silvernblackattk I don't really drink so there's no reason for me to really go to a bar. I do find it hard to meet people since we live in a kind of "hard to trust" society nowadays which also makes dating someone u met online risky too. There's too many stories of rapists, pedophiles and abusers walking freely. :(

• No i wouldn't

What Girls Said 7

• I wouldn't.
    If it was just casual, it would be a terrible idea to mixed it and I would never want to work with a boyfriend.

• I've worked at several places where there were married couples working. Some of whom met at the job.

• I rarely take an interest in people who work with me, and never do I look at people above me in any way more than my boss. When I do become interested in someone in my workplace, I put that shit on lockdown and stay away from them. I don't look at them more than necessary, I don't make small talk, I don't even smile at them.

• I actually have a crush on my supervisor, and just a couple of months ago, I was wondering how I could get him to ask me out. But I've changed my mind because I've seen how unstable the dating scene is. I'm dating other men right now. And really, it's hit and miss. So if the coworker is a miss, then it's gonna be hella awkward in the office, especially if he's your supervisor!

• No I wouldn't because it is a career suicide to me

• The guy I dated (my ex) was also a coworker.

• So what happened when u broke up? Taken from that experience, would u date another coworker given the opportunity or never again?

• We were friends before becoming a couple (we studied together), and still continue being friends after we separated.

• No. Because if something went wrong, it would significantly affect my job.

• I Vote for A :)