Do guys ever regret letting go of a relationship? If so then how long does it take to realise?

It is often said that guys regret what they have lost after its gone, is it true though? I have never really witnessed it myself. Also, if the guy breaks up can he miss the girl or want her back? They show this stuff a lot in movies, I have never seen it happen. I usually see the guy sees an opportunity and the girl gives in. But I have never seen a guy come back with genuine regret and love for the girl. It only happens in movies right? Any insight into this?

Most Helpful Guy

• It mostly happens in movies, yes.

What Guys Said 4

• Speaking as what people would labal a "nice guy"...
    I did regret letting go, but on the same time i knew it was the only right think to do. I do want her back, but i know it's pointless to try. It simply is over.

I'm not going to do what they do in the movies, as that would be disrespectfull towards her. Even so, it is admittedly tempting to try...

• Why do these movies work? Because girls want to be saved, its a fact. try it, you have one life :)

• I get it! We all have issues, does she know this is why you leave her alone? A part of loving is to let go. I have never had a guy let me go out of love but its really beautiful when people can do it. I have done it, but goodness is overrated these days. Also the manipulation part.. do you try to change it? we all have shitty qualities. I was once bullied but it had different effects on me, lower self-image i guess. i hope you find your match:)

• SHE was the one pointing it out, and i did get a chance to fix it. But i couldn't (not fast enough at least) so i knew where it was going in the long run...
      And yeah, i try to fix shit right

• Never had the privilege. But I may leave my current partner after 10yrs because I need to. Thing is, she is amazing and sometimes I ask myself if it's a good idea. Because if this, I have read up on all this. Many guys do regret it after they break up. Some do it even during divorce legal proceedings. Many realise after a while. And there are stories about guys who still get haunted by it years afterwards. It happens with women as well and it's human nature to realise what you lost once you lose it.

• Then why let go so easily? Why not work at it?

• Its a shame, you guys sound like you're perfect for each other. that she can sympathise enough to even allow hookers.. thats quite something but you took the right stand. still sucks that it has to be this way though

• It does suck. My biggest fear is that the breakup will crush that beautiful soul of hers. I don't want her to lose that. I am seeing a councelor too, but it points to a breakup.

• I still think about my first proper girlfriend sometimes, I took her for granted and she dumped my stupid ass! She was beautiful, funny, caring the list could go on. I was young and stupid. Such is life.

• But never enough to go back?

• No, I was 17 at the time and I moved house, stopped seeing everyone we had in common, basically started again. I have no idea what she's up to or where she is these days. If I saw her randomly on the street I'd hope she didn't hate me, apologize for being a dumbass and tell her she's one of the most awesome people I ever met.

• I've always been the one that got let go

• same, or I let go because of their jerky nature.

• I've been told I was too nice, so when my exs cheated on me i forgave them. They thought I would just break up with them, but since I didn't they had to break up with me.

What Girls Said 1

• I know I most certainly regret my actions and miss what I have lost. Never had such a hard time accepting a relationship is over and never felt such a loss. I'm sure male and female can feel this way.