Is there any way to change someone's habits to suit yourself? It may sound selfish but just read the description?

There is a girl at my school that I've always found attractive and I think she may be into me. She seems a little sad when she doesn't see me during our lunch period and such. But there is a problem. I hate the smell of cigarettes. My dad smokes, my grandma smoked, and frankly it just doesn't have any appeal to me whatsoever. If anyone knows of a way to break another's habits so this doesn't bother me if we start dating then please enlighten me. I'm not trying to be rude or offend anyone, this is just my opinion on cigarettes. I've always disliked the health concerns but the smell is pretty bad too.

Most Helpful Guy

• That's not selfish. For a LOT of people smoking is a deal breaker. It's a bad habit and even smokers know it.

There's not really a way to get her to stop though, aside from encouraging her to stop. If she wants to smoke she'll smoke, you'll just have to find a different girl.

• Yeah, I understand that. It's just that I really don't blame her as much as I would other because of all of the shit she's been through. She didn't exactly grow up walking on sunshine. Neither did I or many people, but from what stories she's told me it really sucked where she used to live.

• I never said you should blame her for anything, I'm just saying you shouldn't feel bad about being turned off by it :P

• Yeah I gotcha, thanks man.

What Girls Said 2

• Well, I don't agree you should ever try to change people to make YOU happy, but in a case such as smoking, it's workable enough. You can just tell her that you worry about her health and want to help her quit, and just be genuinely honest about how you don't like it without being condescending.

• Maybe start carrying nicotine gum and offer it to her everytime it seems like she's going out for a smoke?

What Guys Said 0