Why do you think shorter men are (generally) less attractive to women?

For the record, I'm 6', which is slightly above average height in my country (United States). I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I am curious why do you think women (generally) find taller men more attractive.

I don't wish to entertain that height isn't an issue. All opinions are welcome, but that's a discussion for another question I suppose. Generally speaking, polls tend to indicate that women do tend to prefer taller men over shorter ones. If you want to debate that, perhaps you could consider asking your own question.

Ladies, it is your opinions I would like to hear the most, yet they are flowing like mud. Don't be shy. Sound off anonymously, if you like.

Most Helpful Girl

• I know this is going to be a very unpopular opinion.

I think this goes to the base instinct in every woman, whether they admit it or not. The man is supposed to be physically taller, bigger, more muscular than the woman for a variety of reasons and this instinct dwells in the woman's mind even if she is unaware of it.

At the BASE of this is the BELIEF down in the woman's primitive back of the mind that:

*Taller men equals increased protection for family
    *Taller men tend to mean strong genes to pass on to children
    *Taller men equals health and vigor

This doesn't mean it is something a woman thinks about, it is just there in the background of her thoughts regarding men and attraction.

In today's world of course, women are taller in general and height means less in terms of slaying a sabre tooth cat. For me it comes down to point #1, I like to feel protected by a man. The only way I personally can feel protected is if he is at the very least my own height, but I prefer guys two inches and more over me. I have tried to date guys smaller than me, and I just do not stay attracted to them very long. I am always saying though, it isn't his fault for being shorter, it is MINE for being tall for a girl.

Bottom line is, let whoever date whoever. Their is no use shaming a girl for her desire to date a tall guy any more than there is to shaming a guy who won't date a heavyset girl. It is all in what you find attractive. Don't get mad at us, just go find someone who will be attracted to you.

• Actually I think your opinion is rather popular here, becca123. It seems to reflect the majority.

Protected is exactly how the woman I'm dating describes it.

"I am always saying though, it isn't his fault for being shorter, it is MINE for being tall for a girl."
      I would argue it is the fault of neither of you. It simply is. How tall are you, if you don't mind me asking?

"Bottom line is, let whoever date whoever. Their is no use shaming a girl for her desire to date a tall guy any more than there is to shaming a guy who won't date a heavyset girl. It is all in what you find attractive. Don't get mad at us, just go find someone who will be attracted to you."

Amen to that.

What Girls Said 5

• I'm 5'4.5" and I wouldn't date someone who isn't at least 2" taller. I want to be able to wear high heels and since I'm short/average height, I think it would be weird to date someone who was my height or shorter. I actually find tall guys really attractive because i can still wear 6" heels and be shorter than them.

• I see. Why do you find it "weird to date someone" who is your height or shorter? What's the appeal of dating tall guys?

• Well I mean I'm pretty short compared to most of my friends that are girls, so i feel like most guys are taller than me anyways. I would say that it's a security thing, because if they're bigger than you they can protect you.

• "I would say that it's a security thing"
      That seems to be the general consensus.

• No it is not a turn off. I have dated with shorter guys. Depends on guy.

• Well, it may not be a turn off for you, findingdreamland, but statistically speaking women (generally) find taller men attractive. Is this true for your friends? Why do you think?

• Yeah general expectations among women, is taller man. At least they expect same height.

• Im 5'7" I think anything 5'9" and over is more attractive. It doesn't have to be way taller then me but its more of a security thing for me.

• Thank you for stopping by.

• Gotcha. The woman I'm dating now said pretty much the same things.

• Yeah and obviously some girls aren't like that either. But its just a comfort thing to some.

• It's just the same as when guys say short girls are cute/hot.
    It doesn't make a short ugly girl suddenly hot, but if you're attractive and you're short it's more hot than attractive and not. So the guys don't rule out girls who are say 5'7 but if a girl was 5'3 it's aww... you know?
    So for tall men, it's that reversed.

• Well, I'm not saying you're wrong, but it just doesn't comport with what I've experienced. The men I know would say that the height of a woman isn't a consideration at all. The men I know don't find short women cute, nor do they find tall women a put off. For the men I know, height is about as important as shoe size.

• I'm petite myself and I absolutely can't stand short men. Shortness in males is just an innate turn off. Dealing with a short partner would make me feel like I'm stuck in a midget world. I want a tall man to make up for what I lack, to lift me up and make me feel protected.

• " I want a tall man to make up for what I lack,"
      That's interesting. You're the first to have told me that.

What Guys Said 6

• if i was a really tall guy then i'd definetely hate it, even if all women on earth were staring at me.

so being tall isn't ideal for everyone

• If i knew the answer man it wouldn't be so much of an issue for me... i'm 5'1 so it's a lot harder finding a girl that i like but also likes me for who i am.

I've been led down in the past and the only reason given is "I don't date guys shorter than me" and thats it! No other legit reason. I've heard girls say that taller guys seem "stronger" and make them feel safer.

• So it would seem, Tonymoulls. Do you mind if I ask exactly how old you are and what you're doing in life right now?

• Not at all!
      I'm 21, working full time as a car mechanic, i don't let my height stop me from doing anything! I ride motorbikes, still go out with friends and do everything they do.

My best friend is even 6'4 which can be quite amusing to some haha.

The only thing i struggle with is finding a girl that i like but also a girl that likes me for who i am and is not bothered by my height, It just seems difficult nowadays.

• Supposedly less capable to defend her. I think it's mostly a societal thing, not all countries value tallness as much as the US does. Women in America want tall guys because everything is telling them that is the thing to have.

• Thanks for stopping by. Which countries don't value height as much as the U. S. does?

• @Bluemax haven't lived there since 2002 but return every summer (winter there). It's definitely nicer. As a short dude I like that height matters a bit less and that I feel like I'm two inches taller. I'm no longer at the very bottom of the spectrum, just close. The women are MUCH hotter, both by not overeating and by default genetics. The food is tastier because it's fresher. And some other things that I prefer in Argentina.

• Interesting. My friend's sister is Argentinian (ethnically, she was born in America). Of course one can't make definitive statements if you only have one sampling to go on, but she is very attractive.

• I think it's the idea of protection and women value the opinions of others more than men. People will talk if they see a woman with a shorter man.

• People say that taller men are "stronger" which is what most women tend to like.

• To be frank, I think a lot of it is electra complex.

Growing up, your protector (usually) was dad. Compared to his daughter, dad was tall, dad was strong. Hence, I think girls associate those features with being protective.