How do I let him down easy?

So there is this guy Jake in a lot of my classes at school, and three years ago I found out he liked me. Okay so recently, he told me he thinks he is in love with me and he has been for years. I think it's really sweet, but at the same time, I don't like him in that way. So I need help, how can I let him down easy so he doesn't get upset? I don't really want to text him, or get my friends to tell him, because he is a nice person and deserves to hear it from me. But I don't want to upset him, make him hate me, or make things awkward etc... so would it be best to text him? I'm so confused and I don't really know what to say to him.
ps: he is quite shy so I dont want to embarrass him.

What Guys Said 2

• Just tell him. He might be upset because he isn't getting what he wants, but if he's a well adjusted human being, he'll get over it and appreciate that you didn't lead him on.

• Give him a note or a talk. Tell him you don't want him to get the wrong idea. Listen darling, they is no easy way with infatuation. The only question is with how to make the hurt minimal.

What Girls Said 0