Is it okay to break up with someone if they are over weight?

my best friend got dumped by her boyfriend of 2 years because she gained a lot of weight while they were together and she didn't want to change. I don't know, is that a good reason to break up with someone? I mean he always tried to get her to go to the gym with us and stuff but she always refused. I'm not choosing sides. But i would like to know guys and girls, is it okay to break up with someone because of their health issues?

Most Helpful Girl

• If he felt that strongly and tried to help, and she was having none of it then why would there be an issue? They both want different things and aren't willing to compromise any longer. Sounds fair to me.

What Guys Said 7

• Oh, I've done the same thing.
    It wasn't the fact that she got fat that pushed me away.
    That happens sometimes.
    It's that she stayed that way and made no effort to change.

Until that point, I didn't even know I was shallow.
    I didn't think it was the kind of thing that would phase me.

But I was certainly unhappy. And it became harder and harder to tell myself that I was happy.
    It got to a point where I didn't care how bad of a person it made me look. I couldn't do it any longer.
    I imagine he felt similarly.

• Getting fat would probably make her less attractive, he may have still have loved her though. But when she refuses to make any effort to change or acknowledge his feelings on top of that, she's also pushing him away and that is the real problem. A bit of weight gain would be fine with me, but she made a conscious choice to live unhealthily and that is a way more unattractive quality.

• Wether or not breaking up with someone is "ok" is up to
    the one doing the breaking-up, if you, or someone else isn't
    attracted to the person anymore, he or she can't help it.

It's not like one can decide who to be attracted to. ^.~

It may be rough, but it's the truth. So if your friend
    wanted the relationship to last, perhaps she should've went
    to the gym with you guys, or found someone who'd like
    her as she was, of course.

• LOOK... WE GUYS ARE TURNED ON VISUALLY... WE LIKE TO HAVE A GOOD LOOKING WIFE OR GF... NOW YOUR BEST FRIEND TOOK HER BOYFRIEND FOR GRANTED... AND HE GOT FRUSTRATED AND MAYBE ASHAMED OF HER TOO...

HE TRIED HIS BEST TO MAKE HER REALIZE WHAT HE WANTS FROM HER AND SURELY IN THE NICEST WAY BUT SHE STILL REFUSED AND THAT'S WHY SHE GOT DUMPED...

SHE GOT DUMPED FOR TAKING HIM GRANTED AND NOT FOR BEING FAT!!!

• I definitely wouldn't break up with someone over that.

• Would i break up with a woman/ girl cause her body weight changed? No
    That is just so wrong and i wish women see what some guys see in them
    but they don't as soon as Harry says to Nicole she is overweight and average
    looking , well Darren tells her she is very attractive in all ways, Nicole will take
    what Harry says over what Darren told her. Something to think about !

• If my girlfriend got fat then I'd totally dump her sorry big butt. I'm not saying it's right, but I totally would.

• cuz it's too much effort to encourage her to get healthy?

• It's easy to not get fat. If you're going to let a love of food control you like that then I'm out. Yeah, I would try to encourage her but if she doesn't want to change like @m8ash said then don't count one to stick around.

What Girls Said 2

• totally not, what a fucking asshole. he was obviously with her for the wrong reasons. I'm glad he left her. i bet she deserves better.

• if he does not love his gf anymore because of that then it's just right to breakup. personally i will not dump my bf just because of that, i'm sure my love would not change because of that. that's just so pity for me. i have other things which i consider a definite deal breaker. :)