What does it mean when a guy doesn't want a girlfriend RIGHT NOW?

know you're going to say idiot you've already answered your own question. But it's more complicated than that. I've liked this guy since this past summer and I always thought he liked me back. A mutual friend talked to him (without my knowledge) and he says that he's interested in me but he just does not want a girlfriend right now.
My real question is, how long is "Right Now"?
He's 26, into his second year of teaching high school science, and lives with his parents right now. (Which I feel is understandable considering teachers don't make a great deal and he's single.) Is he waiting to get his life situated before he settles down? (He's trying to pay off a masters degree) Is he waiting until I'm closer to graduating college (I'm a junior) before he makes a move? Or is he a complete mama's boy and I need to move on? (He is quite immature and spends his free time playing video games)
I like James so much, and he's never had a girlfriend so maybe he needs a confidence boost?
Is this a case of good things come to those who wait or is he planning to be forever alone?

Most Helpful Guy

• Men define themselves by their accomplishments if he's not yet accomplished he may feel inadequate.
    It's up to him how long it will take to achieve stable employment. If you trust your instincts and he seems a bit immature I would consider passing on him. Most guys have a provider protector mindset, in his mind he can not do either for you at the moment. If he hasn't made it by the time he's 30, most likely he failed to plan and if you make a higher income after college compared to him he will feel diminished and inadequate which will lead to disappointment later. If is Mom is very dominant in his life and tend to control his actions or babies him, you will be brushed aside and have to take a back seat to his mom. I'm seeing that there isn't any strong male character his life therefore he won't have the direction he needs to fully reach his goals. If Mom is desperate and needy she will make it easy for him to stay at home for years to come. It's entirely possible that video gaming is his escape from reality and you will have to compete in a relationship for attention between his Mom if she's the way I said and the video games, which if he hasn't any other healthy hobbies can lead to addiction.

What Guys Said 4

• he sounds like a career oriented guy someone who wouldn't be dating anytime soon, he is looking for a stable job, some financial security before he jumps into the world of dating
    its probably best to move on but if you can wait then it might be as long as a decade

• Well, to use a show I now hate.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l54gcEwt4SM

• He's trying to let you down softly. He either gay or just not into you. Sorry. Find someone else - it's tough to begin with but you need to move on. Don't wait your whole life for something that will never happen - if he liked you, something would have happened by now. Dating is never a financial burden when the guy likes the girl.

• Don't know, sometimes, if I tell a girl that, it's just a straight rejection, it depends.

What Girls Said 1

• Sorry to be blunt but he dosent want you as a gf right now, not interested