Girlfriend's dad asked me to prove my salary? ! :O?

Okay so today I was talking with my girlfriend's dad for the first time... he always used to dislike me and didn't want to give her marriage to me.

Today we were talking and he was asking me for my salary, which I think is still normal...
But there after he was asking me to prove it by showing my company's report, bank account statement and my income tax statements? Is this normal?

I was freaked out and told him I will think about it and left the conversation politely. But seriously I was freaked out so much...

Most Helpful Girl

• No, that's not normal in any way.

What Girls Said 6

• Whoaa dude that is a bit extreme. That is personal stuff 😐 he has no right to ask about such disclosed information..

• I get THATS he's trying to make sure his daughter is provided for... But WOW just wow who does that... Technically you don't need his blessing...

• Well that's pretty weird lol
    I hope he was only trying to scare you

• Wow, he sure wants to make sure you can take care of his daughter.
    That's a little extreme though.
    What did she have to say about this?

• maybe he thought you were bullshiting him... I don't think it's the norm.

• Lmfao... This father in law sounds hilarious. Just see the funny side of it and laugh at his crazy requests because he's so scared of losing his baby girl hahaha.
    Dads can be funny sometimes when it comes to their daughters, and no man is good enough. You could he prince Harry, and he'd tell you it's not good enough lol.

What Guys Said 9

• Lol what a fucking douche. Did you tell your girfriend what he did? Honestly Id show him the papers just to shut him the fuck up but after that I'd probably never talk to him again. He would have lost all respect from me, like the next time he trys to talk to me I'd just blow him off.

Ideally I would want to avoid inviting him to the wedding but that's probably not an option:(

• It sounds like he's concerned with you providing for his daughter. That sounds important to him. I don't think I would have a problem showing a dad if that gave him anxiety. It sounds like most disagree.

• Whaaa?

Does he think that you're poorer than you claim to be?

Or does he think you make all your money illegitimately?

• Pffft. Just keep in mind you don't need his blessing, It's just optimal.

• To be honest, I'd tell him to "F" off. I'm sorry, but I've been in relationships that their dads dislike me. I've tried my best to accommodate them, but eventually had to draw a line. SO what if you have money, does it make you a better person/husband than someone who has?

• ignore him. he shouldn't care about your salary it's not his business

• If you are marrying your gf then its pretty common but i'm assuming he thinks if you end up getting married what will be the cash inflow.

• Remember, when you marry her YOU will be the owner of your house. Not him.

• I'd have told him to fuck off.

It's none of his business.