Is it possible to have an online relationship with someone...?

Can you show your true feeling through chat? Are we just imagining what the person is like or is it real? Opinions or people who have been in one of these relationships tell there side of the story...

• Yes, I do believe online relationships are possible
  • No, I don't think online relationships are possible
  • Neutral on the subject

Most Helpful Guy

• Everything in life is as serious as you make it. After that, it's just opinion and making what you will of what you've been given. Some people will lie and all of that, but that only matters if you care and find it worthwhile to begin with. In general, low expectations followed up with a period of self-questioning and ridicule will help. If it's still worth it at that point, try. There's no guarantee it'll work out, but there's no chance it'll work if you don't try. You're a female under 18, though, so I would say for you that you shouldn't take part in online dating unless you tell someone you're close to. In general and to sum things up, though:

True feelings through chat? Yeah, easily, but doesn't mean that anyone will believe those are your true feelings or you believe anyone else, as is the reality of the online world much of the time.

What person is like? It's not really imagining so much as making them into how you read them. That's why it can and is better to talk to them, at least sometimes. You can read what someone says and read it completely different from the way they actually say it, if they say it at all. Some people are not at all like they are on the internet and others are exactly the same and some are kind of neutral. Figure out what they're like. It's like reality but with an added layer of questioning, really. You never know if anyone says what they mean when you're actually dating. You find out over time. Same way here. Only, if you get bad vibes, get the hell away. Some dangerous people in the world. Real life and internet alike.

Opinions have been given. One of my poorer responses, actually.

What Guys Said 7

• actuly my girlfriend and I are in a online relationship. or should I say we started out that way. unfortunately were still long distance, but we have both flown to spend a week with eachother. her and I connected on a level I have never connected with a girl on before. she just seemed too good to be true and well she felt the same way. well we started talking on the phone just 1 week after we met online and we haven't slowed down since. now I'm planning on how I'm gonna to ask her to marry me and trying to figure out how I can move up there with her so we can be together while we are engaged.

so can you show ur true feelings in chat? yea sure you can. aslong as both people are true about their feelings and not lying trying to get into your pants. that's why its good to talk on the phone to make sure they arnt one of those creepers pretending to be who they say and also send pics back and forth the more pics of them the more likely the person is who they say they are.

when I flew out to meet my girlfriend for the first time I was scared worried if she changed her pics to make her look better or if she had some habit I didn't like or if there was something about her I wouldent like.. all I have to say I was wrong to have ever been afraid about her. she was wonderful she's more beautiful than her pics. we click even better in person than just talking on the phone and we both enjoyed every second in eachothers company.

so if you give it a chance and meet the right person then yes you can have a internet relationship tur into more. it can become great and you can fall in love with them and who knows you might be getting married soon like her and I plan on doing.

• i've tried it before; it doesn't work. it can start out that way, but it really can't go beyond a certain point.

a long distance phone relationship is a little bit better because at least you can actually hear the person. not clickity clack clak ding.

• people probably do it all the time but I'm sure that one of them if not both are not taking it that serious,i mean unless you what to pay to fly to see them you can't have a good true relationship with out talking to them face to face people just do it to have some fun online. Eharmony or another dating site like it is the only place I see it happing.

• It is possible..online relationships are also same as other ..just difference is that distance ...I think,if any one is not punctual for his/her partner ,relationship become just a logo between them..i believe distance does not affect relationship . If relationship is carried at both end by honestly it is deep relationship

• There can be but you just need to be safe about it...

• if you met online, and dating online, and never met, then that is a big NO!

• I've been in more than one, so long as they turn into a real in person relationship after awhile I think they can work, however I believe they are difficult, people can't thoroughly express their feelings and themselves to one another the ways they'd like to. And not having physical contact with someone you have feelings for can be extremely difficult and even painful. I'd say best case scenerio, someone meets the love of their life over the internet stays in contact with them for a year or so, then meets them in person realizes they are the one and goes on to have a happy life with them... Worse case scenerio it turns out the other one is some perv/demented person leading them on and either ends up breaking their heart, one or both of them don't have the strength to wait or ability to meet soon enough and end up breaking up or something like that, or absolute worst case turns out the other wasn't who they said they were they go to meet other one ends up kidnapped and or killed... so all and all I say it's pretty risky, but some of the risk can be taken out of it by meeting in very public places for the first times (more than once until you're comfortable with the other person) but all and all I personally would risk my life like that if I thought she might be the "one" I enjoyed the relationships I have had over the net even though each of them have ended, if given the chance I'd do it all over close to the same way it happened the first times.

Hope this answer hlps and best of luck to you. =)

What Girls Said 8

• i think you can fall for someone online. you really get to know them on a more personal level rather than a sexual level which really lets you get to know someone deeply and is really easy to fall for that person. HOWEVER, I don't think that a relatioinship is ever really possible until two people meet and hang out and see how they connect in person. so I'm in the middle. you can fall for someone and probably even FALL IN LOVE with someone you met online but a relationship...i don't think that can happen until you can be together in person.

• well it depends- if chat with this person and its an "online" "online " thing then what they are telling you aren't really personal- to mean it doesn't feel real

but if you guys do have one and you guys do met ..then I think that's better---

so I guess I believe it's possible if you met that person --it's not possible if you don't met them.

• I've been in online relationship once, and in few good friendships. It can work if both are true and honest to each other. Since there is always someone for us, we don't know if he lives next door or over the seas, and if two are interested in each other than there will be no problem to arrange the meeting.

Personally I think online relationships can definitely work but are rare, most important it gives you the chance to get to know someone by talking to him first and building a communication.

• The way I see it, it's possible to THINK you have certain feelings- and you MAY have them- but you've got to meet the person before you really know. You can say whatever you want over chat. But there are so many things you can't truly communicate. Nothing beats sitting in the same room as someone.

• I don't think they're a good idea, it might be possible for the minority to make a real relationship out of it but to get to that point is almost impossible. Anyone can lie on the internet and action speaks louder than words. What they say means nothing-they could be living one huge lie and telling you what you want to hear or what they think you'd like to hear. You can't trust someone you've never met-it's hard enough trusting people you know in real life.

• Its probably not the best idea, only because you really don't know what kind of guy your dealing with until you actually meet. unless your doing something like e-harmony which I believe does background checks and whatnot, you might just want to reconsider that decision.

• I'm not worried about anything I'm not in an online relationship I was just curious to what people would say :) but thanks for the answer

• without actually seeing the person or even hearing them you can't tell what there like, its easier to say things than it is to do them.

• They do work if you make it work like any other relationship! Mine didn't work out bit it made me a much STRONGER person. He's gonna try to be smooth but don't fall for everything he says.Just tell him what you want and see what he wants.Try a phone relationship so you can hear his answers to see of he is a lie(I works a lot better than a computer);] well from past experiences!