How much does the job from your partner matter to you?

i haven't been through anything like this personally, where a girl dumped me because of my job, or anything like that. but i see from time to time where women say that they want a man with a good job (amongst other things)! so im wondering, wether if its before you start dating someone, or before you decide to get serious or not, how much do you look into this?
personally, i love if a woman is, or wants to be self employed and independent, but thats because i also hope to be some day and i honestly think most jobs are just for stupid people that anybody can do. but if she's not self employed, i really couldnt care less if she's a waitress or a doctor. i obviously want a smart girl, but i dont think that doctor = smart and waitress = stupid. so could you people explain what your defenition of 'i want somebody with a good job' is and how much it really matters to you?

Most Helpful Girl

• Same for me. As long as he's not bumming all my money, I don't care whether he works at NASA or the sewage treatment plant. Well, if he works at the sewage treatment plant, he better be good at taking showers regularly.:) But I've had a guy bum literally a fourth of my paycheck taking him out, and tell me that I wasn't doing enough for him. I also mention that I was a student with a part time job, and he had a full time salary position, and only took me to dinner four times in two years... So that wasn't ok. Just be self sufficient, don't send me into debt, don't come home smelling like poo, and we're good!

What Girls Said 3

• I like guys, and girls, with a pro position.
    That's my family, and just what I'm used to.
    Money only counts so much.
    Values, and access to the intellectual community is where I'm at.
    Otherwise I'm beyond bored, and want to either have sex, or go home very early.
    XD

• Obviously in my opinion- women or men say this because of their personal needs. Whether that's a materialistic need or the burning desire to feed pride & being able to tell others "my lady is the charge nurse" or "my husband is an engineer"
    Love doesn't discriminate.

• It doesn't matter what his job is as long as he's not a bum and feeds off other people.

What Guys Said 1

• Oh it doesn't matter. As long as we have enough money to do what we want and live a sensible lifestyle without fighting about money.

But I'd prefer both of us to be self-employed to some degree. I hate working "regular" jobs and I hate hearing people complain about their workplace/bosses. Life is too short.