I'm not allowed to have a boyfriend?

I just turned 18 and my parents still won't allow me to have a boyfriend. I'm not allowed to talk to them, have crushes, hang out with them, be alone with them etc ...

I have never been kissed by a boy either!

I really like this guy, even though I'm not allowed to (my parents don't know about it) and it's obvious he's interested too. I really don't want to turn him down if he asked me out so what do I do!

How can I keep my boyfriend secret from my parents and all the family friends?

I GUESS WHAT I'M TRYING TO ASK IS: will he understand if I told him my parents can't know about the relationship? Or will he want to call things off?

Most Helpful Guy

• You can't keep him a secret, that wouldn't end well. I'll say it straight up, you are 18 now, legally an adult, you can do whatever you want, with whoever you want, your parents don't have any actual legal control over who you see now that you are a legal adult, so go out with him. If EVENTUALLY the relationship works out with him, then if your parents are still trying to be control freaks (I hate those type of people, with a passion) then move in with him, if that's an option, and I meant his way WAY down the line.

What Guys Said 7

• I'm pretty sure that's illegal when you're of age. But then again, dragging your parents to the courthouse ain't the best idea when you're not self-sustained.

Think that guy's able to listen to reason if you tell him about it? So he understands it's going to be tricky, but that you REALLY want it.

• Honestly your teen years are some of the best times or your live to experience crushes, go on dates and explore your sexuality. They are trying to deny you that. They are being manipulative and controlling. Honestly I would date him anyway and risk them kicking me out. I would rather be homeless than living under such tyranny.

I have seen this many times, they will try to control you for as long as you allow them too. My ex girlfriends family was this way. She was 21 and they controlled her. Her grandparents were still controlling of her mom, who was in her mid 40s. If all seemed very cult like to me.

• What they don't know about doesn't hurt them as long as you don't get hurt yourself. Your parents forgot about their teen life apparently and enforce some really stupid detrimental shit. Make sure you actually like the guy before you guys get more and more together though. When you get to leave house and be a bit more self-sustaining, you will be able to do whatever you want.

• Get a job, leave home, and do what you like.
    It would be a mistake to ever marry a man you hadn't been involved with for at least 4 years. How old do your parents think your going to be when you get married? 30+?

• Where do you live?
    I assume that you are not in a Western country. Sounds more like some Islamic nightmare.

• I live in Indiana and we're agnostic.

• @Asker agnostics in Indiana. Interesting. Your parents need to join the 21st Century. The 14th Century has been over for a while. My daughter was dating boys when she was 15. All that I asked was that I got to inspect the boys first (a bit of fatherly quality control).

• Your bitch ass is 18.
    But if you still live under their roof your still under their rule, sorry to say.

• If you let him know the situation you are in the odds are he will understand. Trust me i had a girlfriend so to speak for a year (we broke up not to long ago) but her parents couldnt find out caus they where the kind of people that would want to send a preacher to chaperone our dates...(i bet the preacher wouldn't have aproved of our emails though lol) but my parents only had suspicions but they knew her parents where like that so they didn't confront me or her. so yes i think he would understand

What Girls Said 1

• Sounds like your still living with your parents? You can always go to college or get a job. Find your own place.. your parents can't run your life..