What do I do? My boyfriend is going back into a suicidal mode an it's scaring me! This time I'm afraid he'll actually do it! Help?

My boyfriend is having suicidal thoughts an I'm scared! He says that one day he was holding a knife to his throat wondering if anyone cared an it's scaring me a lot! An when I confronted him he said I don't know if anyone cares an I think the only one who cares is my best friend. I feel like he's pushing me away an I'm scared he's going to actually harm himself. What do I do? I'm so confused and afraid of what the future is going to bring! I want to break up with him like my guy friends are saying but my boyfriend said he wouldn't have anything/anyone to live for anymore an he loves me and how if I left him he wouldn't know what to do!

• Do I dump him?
  • Do I stay with him an try to battle my problems an help him?
  • Do I keep lying to him?
  • Do I confront him in a different way?
  • Other
So I decided to dump him an he was okay with it. We are now friends an all. Thanks for all your help everyone

Most Helpful Guy

• I've been through shit like this and trust me, he needs help. Breaking up with him would be dangerous, true, but the fact that you're scared and clearly want out isn't doing anything for him. After seeking help for him, the next thing you need to do is to stop being afraid. Odds are he's already picked up on how he's making you feel and may well end up trying to justify that he's doing it to spare you the burden of having to deal with him.

Third, you need to forget the fact that he's your boyfriend, romantic lover, whatever you want to call it and remember that he's a human being first that wants not to be the object of someone's attachment, but to experience a deep sense of love. The kind of love that comes from "I want you to be happy" rather than "I want you to make me happy."

What Guys Said 6

• Why doesn't he feel like you care if he died? Maybe you not being a very caring gf :/. Lol nah jk, its definitely not your fault. Anybody who is suicidal has a serious mental problem, and it can't be blamed on anybody. It's not his fault either, he just needs serious help to get his mind right.

• Well, your best to break it off with him he is suicidal and when people are sick mentally they can do anything
    including harming you or both of you so yes you did the right thing...

• Probably not the best answer. But dump him. He's acting childish. Depression sucks. He needs to get over the fact that life isn't easy.

• You've clearly never been through depression before.

• There's a difference between feeling depressed and being clinically depressed.

• Broseph. I get that. I've been both. Everyone goes through both at some point in their lives.

It's still no reason to drag others around you down. Reaching out for help doesn't mean hurting others because you're suffering.

Her breaking up with him is because he's being a price and the fact NO ONE wants to be around depressed people. Should she give him special treatment because he might be clinical? Whatever he does is up to him. She's probably not a licensed therapist.

Dude needs help. Not a handout.

• Instead of posting online you should be calling local suicide hotlines and getting their help.

• Call the police.

• How is that going to help?

• He'd get mad at me an I don't know where he lives so... Not sure if I'd be able to call the police anyway

• Fine. Whatever.

• TBH, it is't your problem. If you don't want to date him then don't.

• Your right I shouldn't be in a relationship with someone I don't like. I'm just afraid he'll do something dangerous again

What Girls Said 3

• Try talking to him in a calm manner. From what I understand, you spoke to him when he was upset. Try it when he's calmer and figure out the source of the problem. If you do, it would be a good idea to bring this up with either his parents/guardians or at least an adult who will do something about this. I was in almost the exact situation but it was my best friend.

• I would say you probably should break up with him since he's suicidal but if you don't want to u could call a suicide hotline for help

• Comfort. Comfort. Comfort. Save a life! Keep him alive!