Are gifts appropriate on a first date?

So here's the situation: someone at work is going on a first date with someone he's been talking to on an online dating site. It just happens to be the guy's birthday that day. My co-worker wants to get him a card and a small number of specialty tea bags and a card because he says in his profile he likes tea. We were debating at the office today whether or not it's over the top. Some say it's cute while others say it's desperate. What do you guys think?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's fine to give someone a small gift on the first date :) I've been on first dates where the guy brings a rose. I think it's a sweet gesture :)

What Guys Said 4

• It's a risk but not in the sense of "blowing your chances."

It' a risk because of the online part and how many people are liars and fakes on these online sites and not just in photos, but things like being married and having other BF's/GF's on the side and all that.

If you do decide to get a gift, make sure it's really small.

• Yes, as long as it's something small.

If someone doesn't like a tiny gift then they can GTFO

• I think that is ok. it isn't over the top or too expensive and it's nice to have your b-day acknowledged.

• I'm confused here.

He's going on a first date with some girl you don't know, and the female coworker... likes this guy and has seen his online profile? or you all helped him on his profile?

What Girls Said 2

• I think it's a cute gesture and the guy will appreciate it. Tea is not overly pricy so I'm sure the guy will appreciate it

• I think it's sweet, especially the attention to details.