What do you think of a quiet, witty girl (with geeky glasses while looking rather average) who likes to write and read?

I have been under this impression, for a while, that no guy would like girls for their smarts (except for zombies, but they rarely make for pleasant company when they are close to chomping your brains out) and bookishness.
So, I thought I'll get this straightened out once and for all. :)
Thank you for your answers.

Most Helpful Girl

• Hello there. I'm a smart, witty woman and I have to say you're both right and wrong. Intelligent guys DO want an intelligent partner, usually. If they don't, it's often because they enjoy a big gap in power and that can be hard to take anyway.

However, all guys, even smart ones are visual and most seek out traits like warmth and sweetness and consideration more than constant intellectual bantering. And let's be honest, we notice bulging biceps or a killer smile a lot too, so it's not really fair to say they're shallow and we aren't. It's just human nature.

Dressing in clothes that are flattering, having an attractive haircut, maintaining a healthy body, smiling and having open body language will all help to catch a man's eye more than brains. But the brains help make the right guy click with you.

It can be hard for intellectuals, who often live in a wonderful inner world, to focus a bit on the external apperance and emotional expression. But taking time to be mindful and tap into those facets of yourself really helps.

What Guys Said 5

• The number one reason I will lose interest in a girl, or choose not to ask her out on a second date, is because of smarts. Obviously, looks are important to an extent, but not as much as most would think, at least not in my case. I find well over half of the girls I interact with within my age range attractive (in general, girls in 2014 are usually good at looking pretty), and beyond that, I don't really care if she's notably prettier than everyone else, so long as she's pretty. I'd rather go with a typically pretty girl who's good at bantering and having deep conversations than the greatest eye-catcher who's only social contributions are talking about sports and reality TV, or gossiping about people I don't care to hear about.

• I have a hard time finding girls who are intelligent and don't create an illusion of intelligence. So for me it's a huge turn on, rather have a girl who reads and is actually smart as opposed to one that constantly talks about Gossip Girl and the Kardashians.

It just seems you haven't met the right guys that are attracted to what actually matters. Most guys enjoy going for girls who got lucky on the dice roll (AKA they are good looking), regardless of how smart/dumb she is. Then there are a few men like myself who value intelligence over uncontrollable matters like looks.

• I really like it when people can read and write. Whether they wear glasses or not.

• Just remember, average to you could mean cute / exotic to someone else. Personally, looks get me to approach, it's everything else's that keeps me interested.

• Girls who are smart are awesome! You can have interesting conversation about a wide range of subjects, sometimes a bit of intellectual sparring can be good fun and you know she goes deeper than the superficial! win! I'm not a zombie, but a big juicy brain is delicious!

What Girls Said 0