SHOULD guys pay on the first couple of dates or split the bill?

Young women earn more on average now soo yea.. I know not everybody's from countries like holland, iceland or scandinavia so I don't expect a lot of NOs.

Guys would you let the girl pay and Girls would you pay?

• Yes, men should still pay
  • No, the dates should split
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly this is a question of circumstance. I pay for a lot of dates because my boyfriends family is in a tiny fan axial rut and I don't mind. Some girls do but I think it's less about the money an more about the memory. It's just money, go to work and make more.

• So wise at such a young age.

• wow you are really wise! well said. MHO. I was just surprised that you're under 18 and have wealth. Money is stupid... Love and happiness isn't! :D Keep smiling

• Thanks! I try to be level headed. I mean this in the least cocky and arrogant way... I am not the average 16 year old girl. I sorta see the real world. I'm an optimistic realist and I get it... Sadly right now smiling is difficult (no I'm not saying this to get attention. Just a rough day.)

What Girls Said 6

• I always offer to pay the bill. But the guy usually insists on him paying. With my first ex, I wasn't rolling in dough, but I did make more money than him. e said he felt emasculated by that, so for some reason he never let me pay. But I still always tried. Then he'd tell me to stop being a feminist. And I'd say can we at least split the bill, but he said that's the only shred of "mahood" he had left, to pay the whole bill.
    My second ex, same. He did not like when I paid at all. But he still let me. He always felt really uncomfortable though.

I always offer to pay for the date, or at least split it. I don't want him to feel obligated to pay cuz we both enjoy each other's company.

• MOST DEFINITELY! As an American female i do expect the courtesy of the male figure to pay for the meal. Especially if it was his idea to take me out. And not just for a date, but anywhere. If someone takes another person out, they should pay for the meal in respect of that person. Its just a common thing people do. But yes, in a date i do most certainly expect the man to pay for my food. Because if he doesn't, not only am i not going out with him again, but i have lost interest in him as a person because of his bad reputation he just expressed. God Bless

• you see it bad that he won't pay, yet you don't see that expecting the other person to pay for you isn't just as bad if not worse?

• Yeah im a southern belle too. I guess it really all depends on the way you were raised and what to expect

• i would agree but that comment "If someone takes another person out, they should pay for the meal in respect of that person" bothers me... when have you EVER asked a man out and did you pay when you did... women take a very minor hand in making moves outside of flirting... if i have the money ill pay unless she insists simply because i like treating others... idgaf if its a man or a woman

a lot of times i dont have money though and i tend not to date when im broke so either way comes out to the same but my exs have paid for my meals a few times and I've paid for theirs who cares who pays -.-

• I'm from norway ! Both can split it yes

• My boyfriend never pays for anything, so I'm just use to paying for him. Although, I would like it if he paid for something once in a while without asking for me to pay him back.

• B. Split the bills.

• Nothing is written in stone. Generally I think you should split the bill or treat each other equally as much. If you feel like paying, you could pay and if you feel like splitting just pay for yourself :P

What Guys Said 8

• The sentiments I usually hear are:

Guy:
    "I don't have a problem paying (though likely not every time), but the girl being entitled enough that she expects me to pay makes her seem stuck up."

Girl:
    "I usually offer to split, but it's better if he insists on paying the whole bill, especially on the first date."

• I would offer to pay especially if I was the one who wanted to take her out. I would feel taken advantage of if she always wanted me to pay though like forever no matter the circumstances.

• I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to paying the bill, so I always offer to pay. Though I do think it depends on the individual situations. If the girl is deadset on paying the bill or at least spliting it, I won't object. That being said, I always go into a date with the intention of paying for it.

• as a man i always pay in the beginning. if it isn't something i can afford to do i plan ahead to ensure i pick a different place or save up. it is a mark in her favor if she offers to help, but on the first 3-4 dates i always pay as a matter of course. after that it usually goes that whoever planned out the date pays for the meal and the other tips

• For the first date, the guy should pay the bill fully. After the second or third date, the bill can be split.

• women now outearn men under 30. Your mentality is old fashioned and has to GO

• You gave a lot of thought into this.

• No it just seems obvious to me

• I'd pay in the beginning and split after the first few dates.

• splitting it is the best way. Nobody should complain about paying their own fair share and if they do just don't see them ever again

• It should be split, but I know I am expected to pay, because of all the double standards so I would offer to pay. If she doesn't make at least an attempt to be the one to leave a tip, then I would be disappointed in her.