Commitments for a couple weeks? What would you do?

He is 21 (Austria) and I am 22, both students in Canada.

We started out as friends and been dating for about a month.

I'm starting to fall hard when he suddenly told me he's going back to Austria for school at the beginning of next month.
We both agreed not to get into a relationship.

However, yesterday we talked about relationships again.
I said since we are not committed to each other, are free to date or kiss others. He had a shocked face like he had no idea how I came up with what I said and told me we are committed to each other, he does not want me to kiss anybody.
I said, "we are not in a relationship, of course, you have no right to tell me who I date or kiss somebody else and neither do I..." He was like "no, we do have a commitment."

He said, "As we talked about, we both know that even though we get into a relationship now, it's going nowhere since he has 3 more years of school and don't even know when we will see each other next time.. a bit weird to be couples only for 3 weeks"
I get his point of view and I totally agree with it.

In my opinion, the one who moves away can get over someone easier than the person who is left... He said I sound like he would just forget about me once he gets on a plane. He wants to Skype and message or even letters. And we both agreed to tell each other if either of us got a boyfriend or girlfriend.

I like him very much but I think it’s not fair to both of us to have commitments for a couple weeks only while he is still here (which is no commitment at all since there is an end date) and I’m not strong enough to be left high and dry..

I don't know if I can tell him that we should be friends in person. Texting?
The problem is I am going travelling with him and other friends this week for a week. too awkward..
What would you do?

Most Helpful Girl

• I wish I could help you out but I'm a bit lost for words. All I can say is that maybe it is best for you both to be friends for the while and see how it goes in the future because as you said, if you sort of start a 'commitment' and things don't work in your favour, you can get heartbroken. But if you are going to tell him, even though it's hard and can be awkward, it's better in person than in text to be honest.
    Also, I know some people would disagree, but I do believe that if someone loves you and you love them, no matter how long you've been separated for, you'll always find each other. It sounds corny but I have witnessed in numerous times with family members and friends etc.
    Hope everything works out well for you :)

What Guys Said 1

• Guys are possive and even though your right and he knows it still hard to let go

What Girls Said 0