Will I get in trouble for dating a 17 year old?

So I've been talking to this guy for a while. Nothing sexual. Just a little flirting here and there. I just found out that he is 17 and that just scared the shit out of me. I thought he was older, because of his height and voice. He thought I was about 18, but I actually am 21. Anyways, could I get in trouble for dating him?

Most Helpful Guy

• Depending where you live, you could be in trouble if you have a sexual relationship with him while he's under age of consent.
    It would still be quite OK to date him and not have any sex.

What Guys Said 5

• I was 21 when my ex was 17. There were no problems. This was in Australia, maybe some different rules..

• Yeah mate, down under the rules are 16 compared to everywhere else. Has it's ups and downs I guess

• Well if you've only flirted with him a bit, without exchanging any explicit pictures, then you won't really have anything to worry about. If you really like him that much, just wait until he's 18 before you take things any further with him. But if you rather not wait, then you'll just have to move on.

• Oh trust me, I'm willing to wait. Plus I don't exchange pics like that, regardless of age.

• Well then good, patience is a virtue that not enough people have. Also, he's 17 turning 18, so you'll likely only have a few months to wait. :)

• In most states, age of consent is sixteen. In several, it is seventeen. Some states have an age of consent of eighteen. Usually, the defense of being close in age is only three years, so if you had sex with him, it might be statutory rape if you are in one of a few states. However, you are female, and even if you did it and got caught, you would probably not be charged. If you were charged, you could claim that he forced you and keep your identity hidden under rape shield laws.

• Or... I could just not have sex with him, and not ruin any lives.

• Oh trust me , I wouldn't.

• Even with my license to practice suspended, I still take seriously the oath I made. I won't give advice that could lead people to break the law.

• Can you get in trouble? Yes it is illegal but apparently he likes it so its okay with him but the real thing is... How will the parents react when they find out?

• Your a woman so basically no you couldn't get in trouble

What Girls Said 0