Anyone else afraid of being alone?

Had anyone ever felt that they stay in bad relationships because they're terrified of being alone?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't want to be alone, but I won't to be in a bad relationship to avoid being alone either. Being in a healthy relationship is a wonderful thing, but if things do not to start to work out or either of us is unhappy. I won't force the issue. It just wasn't meant to be. Believe it or not, I learned a lot about falling in love when I fell out of love. I learned a lot about being a friend when I was alone. Fall in love when you're ready, not when you're lonely.

• Thank you for the MHO. I hope I helped. You're awesome Hiitsmejen.

• Defiantly. You always have something helpful to add.

What Guys Said 22

• I did this once but I realized how unfair it was for me. I realized that I don't NEED a relationship in order to have a fulfilling life. It's nice to have one sure but it shouldn't be your whole life which it tends to when it's a bad one. It just becomes a cycle of the same unhappiness over and over. I've been there and you deserve better.

First and foremost you're a human being with dignity and worth. Tell yourself in the mirror everyday and you'll realize you have the potential to not only love again but be loved the way you want :)

• Yes. And that's bad reason to stay in a relationship. More punishment than it's worth. Trust me, I know.

• being alone is the best... i'm afraid of marriage more

• I have never been able to understand that. Consider yourself lucky.

• I second that... and Im 52, never married :)

• Omg i was just thinking about this a hour ago and this question came up
    yes i am afraid to be alone i feel over anxious cause no one is here the
    dogs here but not like having human here.

• I don't often admit it, but I really am afraid of being alone...
    I've never been in a relationship, though, so I can't say whether or not I would stay in a bad one. I hope I wouldn't. I've made it this long without someone, so I hope I'd remember that.

• There is a time for everything under the sun. You'll find someone someday

• No. You need to starting loving yourself. Not as an egomaniac or narcissist, but simply understanding your assets and strong points. Start to introspectively examine yourself and find the good in you. You will then really enjoy and appreciate being alone. It will also help you maintain mental balance is a healthy way.

• I've been there, sometimes being alone sucks. However it's way better than being abused or treated badly, and you can't be ready when the right one comes along if you're tied up in something at the moment. Also, being alone and getting to know yourself, and coming to terms with or changing what you dislike (as well as appreciating what you DO like about yourself), is a good thing. So don't be afraid to be alone!

• I was terrified of being alone. When I broke up with EX i could feel myself careening into the loveless, snuggle less, sexless pit of doom.
    4 years later Im still building a ladder out of broken hearts and crushed souls to get out of here.

• Thank you for that. If you ever want to talk message me. I understand how you feel

• No, I do fine on my own

• Luckily I've never been in that position

• Not really. Sometimes I worry about myself being alone. But in the end I believe, alone suits me better.

• Considering whats out there its a choice at this point. Its the best outcome In my mind

• well i wouldn't say terrfied of "being alone" more like it feels like being a "loser" if you aren't in a relationship.

• I don't feel like a loser, but i just can't stand loneliness

• Loneliness is way better than being in a bad one
    I miss those free times, even if the relationship is good enough

• +1 here.
    My fucking greatest fear of all. :(

• i knew that iam not alone inthat world we csan be friends iam afraid too

• I like being alone not ready for a relationship cause I am afraid of how it would turn out.

• No. Only a listless and spineless coward would do something like that.

• No, I can stay alone forever.

There are real concerns though. Who's going to take care of me when I'm old, what if I'm sick? Are relatives good enough?

The reason why I'm trying to date is cause I feel horrible when I see couples around.

• I don't like being lonely, which is a lot of the time.

I probably stuck in relationships longer than I should have, probably more out of ignorance over what should be normal or giving too much benefit of the doubt than being afraid of being alone. Last relationship was so bad, I decided Id be better off being alone than in an unhealthy relationship.

I'm ok being ALONE from time to time. I think it's important. I know so many people who can't go to a movie without having a girlfriend (just go!). Don't blame not going rock climbing on not having a girlfriend. Do it if you really claim you want to go.

But yes, I hate being lonely. I'm alone too much, and usually single, which makes me lonely.

• i am really afraid of being alone. i wouldn't put up with any idiot, just to not feel alone!!! but being alone is so depressing:/

• Aye, she be a whale. But the hour be late, me trumps. And her blowhole, her blowhole... be wet.

Do you get what I'm trying to say here?

• Yes, I believe I do

• Then you won't ever be alone. Men are dramatically less picky than women, there's 10 guys for every one girl at least.

• Food for thought

What Girls Said 26

• No I'm pretty much a lone wolf, don't care if someone is next to me or not. But my sister is the complete opposite. This is her third divorce and the first time she's been single in 16 years, she always had a boyfriend waiting in the wings. It's tough and I don't know why she is that way or why anyone is that way, like so terrified to be alone. You're still alone in the world unless you're sewn together, even then you're still alone in your head with your thoughts. It's nice to feel a connection and be in love it's the best feeling! But at the same time, you have to love yourself. If you are in a shitty relationship just to fill a void, you don't love yourself or the other person at all. Just a waste of everyone's time.

• oh man... i know how it feels
    cdni.wired.co.uk/620x413/d_f/forever_alone.jpg

• I'm not afraid of being alone but I think I MIGHT need to be in a relationship because I can't drive a car and don't know how to cook. My mother was jealous of me and would not let me learn.

• Well that means you need a cookbook not a boyfriend. I am emotionally needy. It sucks

• I did once and it taught me that being single is better than being in a bad relationship. Once we broke up and I was no longer in a relationship that wasn't right for me the change was night and day. I had so much more energy to do things, I felt happier and I was motivated to pursue the things I loved doing again.

• No. If a guy is a jerk ; the guy is a jerk. I've never really been that afraid of being alone, because let's face it - there ain't nobody better than yourself.

• Um no not at all.. If it's a bad relationship im going to have to get myself out of it.. Yes I'm afraid of being alone.. But I wouldn't put up being in a bad relationship to be with someone because of it..

• That's really smart.

• Thanks ❤

• ☺️❤️

• No I don't think I've ever had that experience.
    That said, I've had guy friends since I was like 14 or so.

• no, I'd like to have a boyfriend now, but I'd rather be alone than waste my time on someone undeserving.

• I would rather be alone for the rest of my life then stay in a bad relationship.

• I am a single bi grrrl serial dater who lives alone with no dependants or pets.
    "Luuuuuurving it" x 10000000 :)

• I might spend Christmas with my cheating fat bastard boyfriend rather than fire him off yet because
    A) I want those Hades shoes
    B) I don't want to be alone at Christmas
    C) I can wait till after new year 'new me' shit and
    D) He is a good fuck... So I guess it can wait. But if it wasn't Christmas, I'd get rid ASAP.

• i think that happens the older we get. The consequences of no partner are more serious.

• No and I don't understand people who do it. DX

• If it makes you feel any better I am extremely single and terrified I'll end up being alone forever. It's a horrible feeling.

• I could care less.

• Being alone sucks!!

• being alone is better than being in fake relation

• No I like being alone u have to be by yourself before you be with someone

• Nopeeeeeee

• Yes my bf and i recently brokeup and now im scared that ima be forever alone:(

• Yes. Have done that. But know I don't want to just settle for ok just so I'm not alone.

• Yes
    But I am 14
    So I hope i don't end up forever alone

• Yes that's my biggest fear. I jump from guy to guy because I'm afraid to be alone.

• It hasn't happened to me personally, but quite often I feel that certain couples just stay together because they think they're too old to find anyone else anyway. I feel that younger people break up, knowing there will be a next. But once you've reached a certain age, some prefer to stay in a relationship they're used to, even if it's a bad one, because they don't know what/who the future brings.

• My sister stayed in a toxic marriage for years before she finally left. Now she's herself again, and has that great spark in her eyes and is enjoying life. Best decision she ever made. She's now in a healthy relationship and can't believe she waited so long to leave.

• Yes, I was, me and my boyfriend had been together for a year and I just didn't care about him as much any more. I finally came to my senses and broke up with him and now I actually feel okay, my friends have helped my through it and I'm a lot happier now