What do you do when your close guy friend tells you he likes you?

My friend just opened up to me about having feelings for me for quite some time. And I honestly had no clue.

Thing is we got such a great friendship and I don't see him that way, and I'm curious how would you normally handle this situation if you have been in it before?

I think he's aware I don't feel the same way but just wanted to tell me since he's been keeping it in for so long. So do I just continue on acting like nothing was ever said?

Most Helpful Guy

• If you really don't have feelings for him and don't want a romantic relationship, you need to tell him that. But make sure you are 100% clear, or else he might think there is still a chance. If you did flirt or make a relationship seem possible, you should apologize and say you didn't realize you were leading him on.

After that, it is up to him. He may be angry/upset and never speak to you again, so be prepared for that. But he may realize he'd rather you in his life as just a friend, rather than not at all, and may continue to talk to you as a just a friend.

It's probably going to be pretty awkward, but I wish you the best of luck!

What Guys Said 3

• Oh the typical 'it's only friendship' perspective. I can say from experience that it's easier to date a 'friend' than it is to date someone you are irrationally and unexplainable attracted to for reasons that aren't so clear. At least with a friend you know you have more in common than just being sexually attracted and you obviously get along or you wouldn't be friends. What could be better than that? I'm just saying, be open minded and why not explore a relationship with him?

• If you dont have feelings then you simply dont have them. Dont be afraid just tell the man that you dont have feelings for him and you are happy with the relationships ur having. Say that it will never be anything else for you. And just treat him like u normally do. If it doesn't work then it is on because of him and you know that he would always want more even if u were trying to be nice.

• I love you too... as a brother! FRIENDZONED!

What Girls Said 3

• It'd never happened to me but I have been in the other side. She told me she really valued our friendship and didn't want to stop hanging out with me but that she didn't want a relationship, that our friendship was too important to take the risk of trying something else and end up hating each other if it didn't work out. (She says she did have feelings for me but I'll never be sure... it could've been an excuse)

The way she said those things made me feel awful but at the same time good enough to know I could still hang out without crying every time I saw her or without feeling ashamed.

After that, we kept hanging and acting like nothing happened, we even got closer, but that's another story.

• Yea, that happened to me before. I was like we've grown up together and I see you now as a brother and not in a sexual or bf/gf way so if you can handle it, I'd like to continue being friends. We were for awhile until I started dating then he went ghost because he said it was heartbreaking imagining another mab touch me..

• A friend of mine kissed me before and it didn't end well. I just left him because that upset me more than anything else.