I'm 19 and dating a 16 year old?

I recently met this girl and at the time, she told me she was 18. Anyway, we ended up talking and I really like her. We've been on a few dates and recently, I just found out that she was only 16, not 18. I confronted her about lying to me about her age and anyway, we are still seeing each other but I kind of feel uncomfortable with the age difference. Her parents are fine with it and the age of consent is 16 in my state. She turns 17 in three months though. My question is this: Should I continue to pursue a relationship with her even with the age difference because I really like her and we have a lot in common? My friend told me that age is just a number and that as long as she acts mature (which she does) that it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• Your friends are right age is just a number I say go for it but be safe and smart about it my parents have a 10 year age difference and if everybody seems to be okay with it then I wouldn't worry but I would still wait to have sex with her until she is 17 but I do encourage you to look up the Romeo and Juliet act to see if it has been passed in your state The Act was passed to protect lovers with a big age gap and so that when they did have sex And even when the woman did give her consent the man wouldn't go away for statutory rape it was passed to protect people in your situation exactly like this anyways be smart and good luck you have a brain use it Lol:)

What Girls Said 6

• If it makes you skin crawl, no. If it's legal and you quite like this girl, you don't have to sacrifice being close with her. I get the age thing, and I usually try and stay away from that gap. but like i said if that fact doesn't bother you more than how much you like her, then stay. In some instances age really is just a number.

• 3 years? That's not considered a difference at all. Especially by two consenting adults.

• I've dated a guy while I was 16 and he was 19. It wasn't a problem between us. Don't worry. The only problem in this situation is the fact that she lied about her age. That is NOT mature behavior at all. If I were you I'd be really pissed off.

• Eh.. my parents have a difference of 3 years. 3 years age gap is not a big deal at all. Go for it! But I will say wait for her to turn 18 before you take the relationship to a sexual level.

• The age difference isn't that big and if her parents don't care then it should be fine.

• it's not a bad thing unless you two are having sex because then if you guys fight and break up she can be a bitch and charge you for sexual assault since she is still a minor and you are an adult.

What Guys Said 3

• if 16 is a legal age in your country then ok

• In the grande scheme of things no one cares about your petty low level decisions.

• Just the fact that you didn't notice she was two years younger than she claimed to be implies that the age gap is not relevant. I would be more concerned about the fact that she lied to you (why?) than about her age.