How to ask a girl that you don't know on a date?

I am 18 and I have only dated one girl and we were friends long before we started dating. I am starting uni soon and I really have no idea how to approach a girl and ask her out.

Let's say there's a cute girl that I've seen on the bus for the past couple of days. Or I see a beautiful girl just getting coffee. Or just walking across campus. How do I ask them on a date?

Is it better to ask them for their number after a brief introduction? Should I strike up a random conversation and ask at the end? Ask after having a few small conversations on separate days? What is the best way? How would you like to be asked? Also, what exactly do you say?

P. S. I'm an average looking guy, not really the type that girls dream of dating. Not sure if that matters.

Most Helpful Guy

• Hey, you have a good question and I had problems like that too, but the best way to ask a girl out is to, do it. Dont psyche yourself out and get nervous, she is human. Now you have to let this soak in buddy, girls turn men down, no matter how good looking or average you are. Sometimes its timing, others times, is just she's not interested in you. Now as for your friend, I would write a note, and say would you go out with me yes or no? With to check boxes resembling a heart. Put it in a box with a bow around it, she will love it... now random girls, well just ask, I saw this beautiful girl yesterday at the gas station, and she was way out of my league, but I had in my mind I didn't care, I got to see if I can pull her number. So I walk up, and I said, I won't be able to forgive myself if I didn't ask, where you got those pretty eyes... I said it with confidence and didn't blink, I was prepared for her to say buzz off, but she said, my mother, and I said would those eyes like to watch a movie with me sometime... thought I was going to get the oh I got boyfriend, but she said maybe... then I said lets exchange numbers and we can talk about later... ok moral of my long ass story is, confidence, simply ask her, and if she say no, thank her, push on and dont get discouraged PLEASE!!!

What Girls Said 2

• Just ask her for a cup of Joe or ask what's her favorite place to eat at and the ask her if she'd like to go eat there with you...

• Ask her for coffee. That's low key and no pressure

What Guys Said 2

• Like you said... you don't know her.
    So start up a conversation first, steer the direction of the conversation towards getting to know her, then at some point ask her for a number so you can call her to set something up so you can continue to get to know her...

• Just get a conversation going. I like the coffee idea. Maybe ask her where she is going and walk with her to keep the conversation going. Just keep things natural and don't try to hard. If the conversation isn't going well, then drop it. If it is going well then ask for her number (of course). :) Do your best and you'll be fine. by the way some girls will flat out reject you. Just a warning. Hope this helps