What is the age of consent where you live?

It is 16 where I am at.

I normally won't date under 18 but I met an awesome girl who is 17 (I am 21) and I really like her so I think I will go out with her for a coffee or something.

Don't hate just being honest with you guys!

Most Helpful Guy

• It is 17 last I remember. In my case I would prefer trying to date 25 and up being I am 30. I personally think dating only 18 and up is best because the parents are really what people have to watch out for these days when dating a minor. If the parents don't approve or you "hurt their daughter's feelings" they may get irrational with the guy. Or if the daughter wants to date and the parents are saying no if the girl disobeys and meets the guy anyway the parents can easily turn the situation messy and call the police saying their daughter is missing and now that guy is stuck dealing with the police. Granted this is a very rare situation it can still happen.

• lol, I cannot get in trouble if I do not break the law. The parents' love for their child and her choices will likely prosper in the end and they will accept me. I am only 21 bro I am not 35 lol

• 17 is still a minor. If the parents forbade it and she gets in the car with you it can be considered a kidnapping. Again I said it is extremely rare that it happens. If the parents like you there is no reason to worry. Age of consent is only applicable to sex, she is still a minor in all other areas.

What Girls Said 8

• Technically it's 16, but there is a corruption of minors law which basically makes the age of consent 18 unless both parties are over 16 but under 18.

• 18 where I live

• It's 18 here but believe me people go to 16 too.

• 18 where I live.

• It's 16 where I live

• I live in NY and it's 17. but with the Romeo and Juliet Laws, if the minor is no more than 3 years younger and at least 14, then it's legal

• Would you date a 21 yo if you were 17?

• is that what that law is called?

• I am 17 but it says I'm 18 on here.. and yes I would! My limit is probably 24 though and even that's pushing it.. (A 29 year old is pursuing me and I don't know what to do lol) and yes that's what it's called :p

• 18 is the age of consent where I live

• It's 18 where I live

What Guys Said 12

• It's 16 here now. Used to be 14 till quite recently. There's a near age exception as well I think 14/15 year olds are legal with 17 year old partners.

• Age of consent in Belgium is 16 Between 16 and 18 there's a gray zone. anyhow, it's not needed to drink a coffee at Starbucks.

• The age of consent here, is 13yo.. but
    there're a lot of rules/laws about it. ^.~

And, if you like her, go for it. ^.^

• Where I live that would be illegal to have sex, if you are 18 then it's 16+, if you are 19 it's 17+, if you are 20 you have to have sex someone above the legal age, 18. But, if there is no sex, I'm not sure. I think the parents would have to be okay with it. Just a side note, I don't know how anyone at age 21 can be in to a 17 year old. There is such a large maturity difference.

• maybe because she is so young and pretty?

I am immature as it gets but I am in college and working on my degree, plus I do community service, play sports, and work part time so I am not a deadbeat loser her parents won't approve of.

• Well, if you are immature then it makes sense.

• 16, in general.

But, 18 if the other person is in a 'position of trust' such as teacher. And 18 for P*rnography or prostitution.

• 16 in North Carolina apprarently.

Don't think I'd go that young though.

• 16, which sucks because the one girl I kinda like from my old high school is 15, so I'd have to wait a long time if I wanted to date her (I'm 18).

• Likewise, mate. It's 16 in the Land Down Under

• 16? I want to live there!

• 18. But I have a personal rule of 21+ If she can legally by her own drinks, then it's fair game.

• Glorious nation of Kazakhstan.. if the grass is on the pitch, lets play.

• Same, 16.

And at 21, I still wasn't into the barely legal or almost-there girls. I don't know what it is, but I guess I just picture them as being really ditzy and still childish. I was old enough to be a FULL adult, and I wanted a full adult woman lol.

But to each his own. Be careful with the 17 year old. Wait until she's 18 just to be safe

• Safe from what, if it is legal wtf have I got to worry about? Worst that could happen is her dad gets angry.

• Well yeah, it's legal. But still, it's MUCH easier to just not get involved in grey areas like that when you could wait until 18, and all's fair game.